Natural Gas Grill

I just bought a home with a natural gas line that extends to the deck for use with a natural gas grill. I am pricing out grills, etc., but want to know how tricky is the process of connecting the grill to the line. I don' thave to add any piping to get to the point where the grill would go; I just need to hook up the grill to the line. Has anyone done this who can give me some advice?

Reply to
Matthews.BrianJ

As stated, hardware stores will have what you need. Remember, though, that propane and natural gas orifices are different, and when you buy a grill, it has to say it's for natural gas to have the proper orifices. May be stating the obvious, but many people have made this easy mistake.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Trivial. If your hand fits a pair of pliers, you're good to go.

Reply to
HeyBub

FIrst off, your grill needs to be converted to run on NG, or be designed for NG. Hooking a bottle gas grill to NG will not heat to near the correct level. Conversion kits are cheap. Then all you need is the proper flex cable.

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever."

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Others gave good advice, but I have two things to offer:

Code states that the grill on a gas line be secured in place, no wheels.

Be sure to turn the gas off when done cooking. I read on the barbecue news group about a guy that wondered why the snow was not sticking on his natural gas grill. Seems he turned the burner to low and it had been burning for about two months.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I seem to remember a thread here where person complained of high fuel bills and the inspector found no snow on the grill, burning all Winter.

-- Oren

Oren

This is why I use carbon-zinc batteries in my flashlights.

Reply to
mm

So now that it was brought up, is there any difference in heat or taste between natural gas and propane?

Reply to
jeffc

I have an NG grill on my deck and there is no distinction between my PG and NG grills.

Reply to
Meat Plow

a friend works for sears, handling returned merchandise and reports the most returned are natural gas grills for lack of high searing heat, for things like grilling steaks

Reply to
hallerb

Install a female quick connect fitting on the existing gas line. The grill will come( provided you purchase a NG or convertible grill) with a flexible gas hose that is fitted with the male quick connect.

Use the rubber protectors that come with each.

Easy connect and disconnect.

Reply to
RakeKiller