Natual gas vs propane, which is hotter

Q: What is an overfilling prevention device? A: As defined by the National Fire Protection Association's Pamphlet 58 - LP-Gas Code, 1998 Edition (Code), it is..."A safety device that is designed to provide an automatic means to prevent the filling of a container in excess of the maximum permitted filling limit."

tom

Sorry, should be:

tom

I'd just reach over and turn the fukin valve off. didn't the OP say the fire was blazing out the end of a broken tube? And not right at the tank?

Reply to
Steve Barker

that float valve only blocks it if it's overfilled. would do nothing on its side or upside down, because it would float the wrong way.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Later he said that the firemen wouldn't do it either. So I guess it didn't look like a good idea.

Reply to
mm

If the "blow torch" installation is anything like mine...that flexible tube is only about 2 or 3 ft long.

I don't think I'd be getting within 2 or 3 ft of a blazing propane tube........

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Even standing in the proper position, they often block the flow if the gas is turned on to a high flow fast. Want to test out the theory?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As long as it is a quality grill with properly sized orifices and supply there will be no difference.

The Sears problem could be that they are crappy designs and/or proper attention isn't being paid to the fuel supply requirements.

Reply to
George

I use a turkey fryer to boil corn in the summer and I've had it go into blow-torch mode at the air mixture thingy. After the first time that happened I make sure that that orifice is pointed away from the tank.

Cam

Reply to
Cam

no. i just use them and don't break the flex lines.

Reply to
Steve Barker
Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

After the regulator? I mean, what am I missing here?

It's a fact that LP is almost double the BTU content of NG per cubic foot. Reducing the orifice size for an LP fueled burner would bring the burner down to the same heat output. Why would a manufacturer bring it even lower?

Reply to
Rick Blaine

I don't have a clue, but most gas ranges for propane are rated lower than NG by about 1000 Btu per burner. There may be other factors at work, such as getting the proper gas - air mix in the burner or restrictions of the venturi. In the case of grills, the primary fuel source is propane while in ranges, the primary source is NG and in both cases thee is a conversion kit that uses much of the same mechanical components.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The difference in pressure has been brought up. Because of the lower pressure, NG requires a larger supply line. And the longer the run, the larger it needs.

--Andy Asberry--

Reply to
Andy Asberry