Nails are wet in the attic

It appears that we don't have enough ventilation in the attic because the roof nails are wet. Nothing is leaking so far and the roof is only nine years old.

Is this a problem that requires an immediate attention? There is snow on the roof...

Should I put new vents now, or wait untill the spring?

Thanks,

-Stan

Reply to
Stan

The sooner the better, but some people will want a premium and some are out of work and will be fare . Id call and get phone bids and do it

Reply to
m Ransley

How is your insulation up there? I ask this because for condensation to occur, warm air has to hit the cold of the nail. The snow on the roof will tell you where the cold is coming from leaving the origin of the warm as your primary concern. Check around exhaust fans, vent pipes, light fixtures and any other item that might be letting warm air into the attic. I would definitely have an insulation contractor come in to take a look.

Disclaimer: All my advise is based on logic and very little know-how.

Reply to
edee em

I don't think it is unusual for frost to form on the roof nails where they poke thru into the attic. The humidity inside the attic in cold weather will always be somewhat higher than that outside even with a good vapor barrier. I have an extremely good vapor barrier, 12" of insulation, and ridge and soffit venting--I never get an icycle on the roof even with over a foot of snow sitting there, but I have seen frost on the shingle nails. They are always going to be significantly colder than the air inside the attic. So you may not really have a problem. Do you have frost forming on the rafters and roof decking, or just on the nails?

Reply to
donald girod

Cold nails + humidity = condensation. The question is where does the humidity come from. Is there a vapor barrier at the ceiling level? Ate the tops of wall cavities sealed? A lot of humidity will move up through the walls and up through the ceiling. If that is taken care of, look at the amount of ventilation. TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

A little is OK and normal under some conditions. However a lot means too much moisture is up there. Bad or missing vapor barrier or very likely too little ventilation. The attic must be ventilated as much in winter as in the summer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have a foot of insulation there. My sofit vent are fine. I'm thinkg that I may need more roof vents...

Reply to
Stan

Rafters are dry, there is only one spot, maybe a couple of sq.ft. where the roof decking is frosted.

The reason I started worring about it, is that I found a couple of water stains on the first floor ceiling (one in the corner and another by the chimney). I thought maybe the condesation from the attic causes that, by why the second floor ceiling is dry?

Reply to
Stan

It sounds that more roof vents would help. I just don't know if winter is the best time to do it..

Reply to
Stan

A vent near the peak would help, as heat rises dont put it low. Any time is a good time if someone needs work - money. Be sure you verify his insurance.

Reply to
m Ransley