My Two projects - Can I do it?

Folks,

Just bought a house recently and now am planning to do some modifications. Can't afford to hire a contractor although am willing to spend week end times or more myself.

Two jobs are there which I am considering:

(1) Create a new bath room. - I know this could be difficult and not wise to do everything by myself, without plumber help. I just want to minimize the plumber help and of course the money. May be I can install the walls myself, may be floors too? may be paint it? install counter tops, sinks etc?

Anyone did it by yourself? Any tips, helpful web sites? What r the things I can do alone? and what I need help of plumber?

(2) Repositioning a door in an outer wall from kitchen to utilize the space better. I just want to remove the door from current position and install in a newer location so that the traffic flow does not obstruct kitchen activities.

Please help if some one passed through similar experience... will really appreciate it.

I am not that good at wood working but know the basics.

Thanks and regards, D J

Reply to
D J

Hop down to the local library and check out a number of DIY books. There are some excellent ones on remodelling and plumbing additions.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

We're looking into a bathroom remodel right now, adding a shower to a half-bath. Difficulty level is going to depend a lot on your home construction. We're on a slab, so connecting the shower drain will involve some concrete work - cutting the slab, finding the drain line, tying in the shower drain, etc. Complicated by the fact that we're in an expansive soil area, so the slab is a post-tension slab, with steel cables running through it. If your house has a basement or a crawl space, obviously the under-the-floor plumbing work is a lot easier.

I would leave the serious plumbing to a pro - just my 2 cents worth.

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

The most difficult part here is the drain pipe. Before you get started, call a plumber and find out what he needs for space and location. The rest is common framing and finishing. That portion is easy to handle if you are handy. Oh, some electrical too. Unless you are knowledagable of it, contract that out also. YOu'll fame the room, then have it wored and plumbed, then finisht he wall, then the final plubing and fixture installation.

There are may books available that explain the steps for what you have to do.

Now we are getting into some serious construction here. Opening up exterior bearing walls is more involved that what you are doing to partition a bathroom. The wall must be opened, headers must be installed and the opening framed according to building codes. Yes, this is done every day but you need a little more knowledge of construction. You also have to match up the outside siding, or brick, or whatever.

Keep in mind, it is never a simple job to just move a door. Trust me, it opens up the possibility of changing the entire kitchen around and spending thousands of dollars. I've seen simple things like painting a wall turn into major projects just so everything else looks good and matches. Make a plan, get some help on that one, and read a few books.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for great answers everyone.

I see that I need to read books.

Any good book suggestion which one helps better? I am going to visit local lib soon.

Thanks, DJ

Edw> > wise to do everything by myself, without plumber help. I just want to

Reply to
D J

Reply to
sonofabitchsky

Time Life books are good for a DIY person. Here is one (used) for $1.00.

Kitchens and Bathrooms by Time-Life Books ISBN: 0809423863

Great illustrations.

-- Oren

Oren

If I only had a nickel for every time I was told no. Telling me no is like a challenge. I do know my limits and when to ask for help from those more qualified than me, except in cases where common sense is lacking. If the OP has common sense, his projects can be done. He already has outstanding replies and is willing to tackle the job.

-- Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Oren

Some homes in my area have a marker embedded in the garage foundation to indicate the presence of a tension cable. My house did not have this marker when I gutted the master bath, I was glad to have a plumber, and it was not cut.

-- Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Oren

Ok, sure you can do it. And, it will cost less and take less and come out better than you origianlly thought. Have fun!

Oren wrote:

Reply to
sonofabitchsky

you would have ten cents because from what I hear she never says no............not to me anyway!

Telling me no is | like a challenge.

this is the making of a sex offender.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN.

Reply to
kitchens etc.