my clawe foot tub has two seperate simple spigots, my hot water side seems stripped out and wont turn off

my hot water spigot will not shut off it just keeps spinning...it will almo st shut off then when it reaches the closed position it continues to turn. Like the knob is stripped out.. the spigot type is like an outside faucet y ou'd find in the garden...I know this is a simple fix....what should I repl ace?

Reply to
majikmac

most shut off then when it reaches the closed position it continues to turn . Like the knob is stripped out.. the spigot type is like an outside faucet you'd find in the garden...I know this is a simple fix....what should I re place?

My guess from way over here is that either the vertical grooves on the stem are stripped or the corresponding grooves inside the handle are stripped. Here is an exampl e of a stem:

There should be small screw in the center of the handle. Removing that scre w should allow you to remove the handle to check. If it is the stem, you'll need to turn t he water off to the tub, either via the (hopefully) shutoff for that side of the faucet or the shuto ff for the house. Then you can remove the stem and take it with you to buy a new one. Depending on how old the faucet is, you may have trouble finding one at a home center. You might need to find a plumbing supply house, like the ones the contractors use.

Good luck!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

the seat washer was worn out . so after I removed the screw at the bottom of assembly the worn out washer actually set on top of that screw. I changed it and vuallah it worked... thank you

Reply to
majikmac

Voila! (French) Very happy to hear that.

Some day you may need a new stem. In the whole city of Baltimore there is only one guy who sells them, plus another hardware store on the north side who buys from the one guy (and perhaps a second store somewhere else) but I asked at 3 major plumbing supply stores on the north, northwest, and west sides, and only the third store (and my

74-year old friend), knew where I should go. I find it amazing that the other two stores didn't know, and slightly amazing that they didn't have the parts themselves. They said 35 years was too old. The way I figure it, if it breaks before 35 years, it was junk in the first place. That's when you start needing parts, at 30 or 35 years.

But the guy that had the stuff wasn't just selling old stock. He got new stock in whenever he ordered it.

Reply to
Micky

I don't see how a worn seat washer would allow the valve to keep on turning.

Can you explain that?

Reply to
DerbyDad03