Musty smell around washing machine

My wife recently said that she thinks there must be some kind of water leak or water build-up in/around the washing machine because there is a continuous musty smell. Anybody else ever experience this? I see water drain out into the outlet pipe. Could water get trapped somewhere inside the washer? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Sennin

I Think I read somewhere that some of the front loaders have a problem with this. Otherwise I don't think so.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

for starters, find the water.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

There's always a little water left in the bottom of the washer. If you always put the lid down right after a load and leave it down and don't wash often enough to keep that water fresh, the washer will take on the odor of smelly socks. It's always a good idea to leave the lid open for an hour or two after washing. Now, it might help to run the machine with bleach, no soap, no clothes through a cycle. It's also a good idea to pour white vinegar in with the towels now and then to help keep soap scum and hard water deposits from building up in the outer tub. It'll soften up the towels, also, as it removes the hard water deposits from the fabric.

Reply to
Tom

Hi,

Washer make, approx age, model#?

Water -should- be inside the washer at al times, the pump is a primed pump = filled with water all the time. Even when no more is comming out of the drain hose.

Something that -may- help...

Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Leaking hose, maybe? Do you smell it? Women smell all sort of stuff some of it doesn't exist, but she may be especially sensitive, so pull the washer and dryer out and look for any evidence of moisture. Water heater too, if it is close.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Leaking hose, maybe? Do you smell it? Women smell all sort of stuff some of it doesn't exist, but she may be especially sensitive, so pull the washer and dryer out and look for any evidence of moisture. Water heater too, if it is close.

If she smells something then there's a problems. Women don't make this stuff up.

Follow all the previous advice and find the source.

Reply to
LFR

Even top loaders can get nusty. be sure and leave the lid up between loads so air can get in and dry out the tub and the area between the tub lip and the top of the washer. Run a paper towel around the uppper lip of the tub, you may get gunk there from dirt and mold build up...water and such splashes now and then and can leave residue.

Not saying this is the reason but it won't hurt and might help.

Jim P.

Reply to
Jim

Run a gallon of bleach and the minimal amount of water you can as an empty load. Bleach kills mold. Or your sink or whatever your water dumps into may have mold. Leave lid always open so machine drys out. Somewhere maybe even on walls or floor mold is growing use bleach to kill it when you find it.

Reply to
m Ransley