Muriatic Acid Before Tiling?

It says if the surface is smooth. 1:4 ratio.

Reply to
Greg Esres

I was wondering if I was supposed to paint before applying the thinset... ;-)

Reply to
Greg Esres

Seems as if it ought to leave salt. (Calcium chloride?)

Reply to
Goedjn

That was my take on it. But I tested a few square feet on basement floor. Not for me, and I got no wife, no kids.

Much less dangerous outdoors (if you stay down-wind).

Do they still tile etc basement floors in new houses? Do they first treat with acid? My guess is "Not".

Sounds like the OP needs an experienced flooring guy for a consult. Match the right adhesive with his floor. I just went out and bought name-brand adhesive years ago and regretted it.

Good Luck, Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Puddin' Man

The pleated filters are expensive, but the paper filters are much cheaper. For Shop-Vac brand walmart has a bag of 3 with no plastic ring, if you have the ring. Other stores, like Lowes, sell the filters with a plastic ring, for a little more, which** you need to hold the filter to the cage. Although I agree that perhaps the side of the cage near the input hole could be covered to keep the muritic acid out of the motor. You have to leave the other side open or it won't suck.

**HD sells another brand that might not be the same size, I forget, but it uses a big rubber band iirc. The rubber band is smaller when not using it, but rubber bands can wear out or dry out and I already have the plastic ring.
Reply to
mm

Update on old thread:

Turns out the thinset I bought (MAPEI) says that acid etching is "not recommended". I've found the same recommendation (or non- recommendation) on similar products. My tiling book information appears unreliable.

Reply to
Greg Esres