Moving from a 220 plug to a 110 what do I need

I recently moved and my ac unit is a 220 and the only plug I have is a 110 how do I make this work

Reply to
Alisha

This might sound nuts but the quickest and cheapest might be just to get a complete 110 AC unit.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You don't. You either run a 220 line or you buy a new AC unit.

Theoretically, you can use a transformer but getting one to handle the load safely is another matter. Most don't have the capacity, the ones that do are very expensive and your 110 receptacle may not handle it either.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In a single-floor house with an unfinished basement, installing a 240 outlet should be easy and cheap.

In a slab home, it's likely cheaper/easier to buy a new AC.

Reply to
Minnie Splitz

I could be cheap, if you do it yourself and there is an empty spot for a breaker. If you have to call an electrician, a new 120V AC is going to be a lot cheaper.

Reply to
trader_4

ACTUALLY there IS a way - which MAY be legal - IF the outlet is on a dedicated circuit. The white wire can be marked red at both ends IF there are no connections in between, and a 220 volt 15 amp plug installed with the wires connected to a 240 volt (double linked) breaker. Not sure about where the OP lives, but it meets code here in Ontario. HOWEVER, the chances of the OP's situation meeting the requirements are slim at best (Inly if the outlet was installed as a dedicated "AC" circuit

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The outlet should look like this upper most pictured outlet:

--

bruce bowser

For the record, the "plug" you refer to is a socket, outlet, or receptacle.

The plug is on the end of the cord, not in the wall.

Reply to
micky

I don't think so. It's own url and label include 125V.

Reply to
micky

I'm waiting for Alisha to come back and tell us she's living in a rental of some sort.

But those home-moaners hub people so rarely return.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Pretty sure of two things.

She'll never be back.

She lives in a trailer and you can run a new 220 line with a can opener, so no big deal.

Reply to
TimR

At peak or non-peak? Here in the 21st century we are designed to go over and under you know.

Reply to
bruce bowser

Plus, The left prong port has a horizontal port for 220 VAC 15-20A or for 120 VAC 15-20A.

Reply to
bruce bowser

I came across that one first too.

I googled 220 volt outlet and the row of pictures that google displays first included this link from zoro as the second one. You can't go by the pictures because those are paid ads and they often don't match the search terms.

Now I see they are putting a row of ads at the top of the images page too, which also don't conform top the search terms. (and of course even the actual images section doesn't always conform because they include every image on every page that does fulfill the search terms. But that doesn't bother me because how else can they do it? And it's also very noticeable how it works when you show images of Ginger Rogers and you see some of Fred Astaire.

> > I don't think so. It's own url and label include 125V.

The horizontal slot means it can handle 20A, but not that it can handle

220v.

is no such commonality among 220-volt outlets. The pin configuration depends on the current rating of the breaker controlling the circuit. However, there are a number of key differences between a

110 outlet and a 220 outlet:

The 220 outlet is larger, and it's usually round and black or dark brown, not white.

It can have three slots or four. Four-slot outlets have a ground wire. One or more of the slots is set horizontally or at an angle.

There is only one outlet, unlike 110 outlets, which are almost always installed in pairs called duplexes.

Reply to
micky

Most of what you say is somewhat right but not exactly. The Hunker guy should not be trusted. There are 15 & 20a 240v receptacles and 50a

120v receptacles.

The NEMA 6-15 and 6-20 (240v) are exactly the same size as the NEMA

5-15 and 5-20 and they can all come as a single or a duplex in just about any color you like. The 5-20, 6-15 and 6-20 all have a horizontal prong. The 6-15 has both horizontal and the 20s have the opposite ones horizontal. The neutral on a 5-15 is horizontal. The one on the other side is horizontal on ther 6-20 so you can't screw up and plug the wrong one in. Generally receptacles have a sideways "T" slot for the one that swaps so you can use a 15 or 20a plug but you still can't plug in the wrong voltage equipment.

gfretwell

I made a mistake about 20 years ago when I bought a 5000 watt generator. The thing came with the 220 volt socket where one prong is horizonta and the other vertical. Did not pay any attention and looking at the plug there is another where the prongs are exectally opposite.

Bought some more 2 days ago for a 220 volt piece of equipment but this time I copied the layout on a piece of paper so I would not get the wrong one.

Just glad I do not have to keep up with all the numbers. There must be

100 or more of the nema number system. Where I worked I think we had one of almost every kind on different equipment.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That doesn't include the Russell Stoll and IEC connectors. It was always a challenge getting the customers to order the right receptacles. I got to the point where I was carrying an assortment of R/S receptacles in my trunk. I would loan mine to the customer to get the equipment going and they could give me one back when they got the right one. After one cycle, my spare was brand new in the box so it was a fair trade.

Reply to
gfretwell

3lot can have a ground too - and no neutral - 240 0nly, no 120 capability (legally) a 240 volt 15 anp receptacle is a NEMA 6-15 and has horizontal blades instead of vertical/parallel blades . (or an L6-15 for a locking connector)

the 220 Nema6-15 receptacle is also commonly supplied as a Duplex - Like a Leviton 1662, or a Eagle 826V, or a Leviton 5028

Reply to
Clare Snyder