Most reliable sump pump

After a torrential rain last night, I observed our sump pump work very hard.

That pump is old, its age is unknown to me (leftover from previous owners).

I think that I would like to upgrade it to the most reliable and powerful pump generally available. My sump hole is 16 inches wide.

Any suggestions? I am looking for something like 3/4 HP.

Ignoramus28584

Can't go wrong with Zoeller. We run them every day either 16 or 24 hours and they last for years. In a house, they should last a lifetime.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks Edwin. What is your opinion about Flotec pumps? Are they less well made? I am trying to get a picture of what is on the market.

Ignoramus28584

I second Ed, Zoeller are the best,most reliable pumps I've ever used. I especially like the float switch operation. Some pumps like Little Giant use a pressure switch which are nothing but trouble

Reply to
RBM

My well/pump guy would laugh at your recommendation for Zoller and also for Flotec..He'd call them "consumer grade" crap..Sold exclusively at Home Crapo..

Now try the Hydromatic line "industrial grade" from Pentair for a real sump pump..

Big Brother

For better or worse, here's the pump that I bought for $93. I hope (based on a conversation with the seller) that this pump never saw water.

Zoeller M137, 1/2 HP pump

Model 130 Series Submersible Pumps "FLOW-MATE" Automatic 115V Non-clogging vortex impeller design. Powder coated epoxy finish. Model

137 all Cast Iron construction. Passes 5/8" spherical solids. 1-1/2" NPT Discharge. Float operated, submersible (NEMA 6) 2 pole mechanical switch. Automatic Reset thermal overload protected. Stainless Steel screws, bolts, guard, handle and switch arm assembly.

See also

Sump Pump Power Rating 1/2 HP Current Rating 10.7 Amps Voltage Rating 115 Volts Maximum Flow 93 GPM Phase Single Off Point 2 3/4 Inches On Point 10 Inches Operation Automatic Impeller Cast Iron Water Flow @ 15 Feet of Head 64 GPM Water Flow @ 20 Feet of Head 36 GPM Water Flow @ 25 Feet of Head 8 GPM Water Flow @ 5 Feet of Head 93 GPM Shut Off 26 Feet Speed 1725 RPM Cord Length 10 Feet Width 12 1/4 Inches

Ignoramus28584

Nice pump, you got it for a great price. Here is the specs on it: Sump Pump, Power Rating 1/2 HP, Current Rating 10.7 Amps, Voltage Rating

115 Volts, Maximum Flow 93 GPM, Phase Single, Off Point 2 3/4 Inches, On Point 10 Inches, Operation Automatic, Impeller Cast Iron, Water Flow @ 15 Feet of Head 64 GPM, Water Flow @ 20 Feet of Head 36 GPM, Water Flow @ 25 Feet of Head 8 GPM, Water Flow @ 5 Feet of Head 93 GPM, Shut Off 26 Feet, Speed 1725 RPM, Cord Length 10 Feet, Width 12 1/4 Inches

Reply to
RBM

Yes, thank you. I have some specs pasted at the bottom also. I want to say BIG THANKS to all people who suggested buying Zoeller. I hope that the pump arrives soon in described condition. The seller lives not too far from me (like 80 miles)

Ignoramus28584

Holy CRAP ! ! ! That is a $300 pump from Grainger. Should do a great job for you.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's nice to hear. I will post here when I receive it.

Should be a simple drop-in, right?

Should I replace the backflow preventer valvejust in case?

Ignoramus28584

I find the most important thing to do is run the pump for a minute or so every few months. If the pump sits for many months and you have no water and it does not run at all, the bearings tend to seize up. If you manually move the float to start the pump, you will keep the bearings from seizing...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I have the 1/3 HP Zoeller which is one of the links on the posted site. In fact, I now have two. One older one in reserve.

Murphy's Law predicts that sump pumps will only go out right after a big rainstorm and just after noon on Saturday when the nearest pump and replacement parts shop that handles Zoeller equipment closes for the weekend.

Before I bought the second pump I used to keep an extra replacement switch kit handy. If the switch mechanism is the same for the 1/2 HP as for the 1/3, then you may want to see if you can puchase a replacement switch. It seems I get about 6-8 years on a switch before it goes bad. The replacement is pretty straightforward. The motor seems to last forever.

Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+

Gary Dyrkacz

It is nice to know, but, practically speaking, is not an issue for me.

Ignoramus24108

Sounds not so nice, why would the switches last so little? Could they have fixed whatever was the problem with switches? I will try to call Zoeller again when I get the pump (with serial number) and will try to see if they improved their switches any.

Ignoramus24108

I received the pump today.

It is in a never used condition, quite obviously. It seems to work when I engage the float. Very heavy and has a well made feel to it.

One thing that I did not like was a VERY short power cable, about 2.5 feet long.

Ignoramus4283