Mortar and clay chimney flue question

I'm adding 12" to the top of my chimney flue. I'm trying to get it a little taller then the gas fireplace flue that's right next to it - the smell of the smoke comes down the gas flue.

So I'm not an expert with mortar. Any tips on mortaring this 13x13x12 pipe? Won't the weight of the flue pipe squeeze a lot the mortar out?

Thanks JaKe

Reply to
jkdrummer

12" may not do it, you are back drafting, you are also pulling down Co, a poison.
Reply to
ransley

12" may not do it, you are back drafting, you are also pulling down Co, a poison.

Also exhaust fans may be creating negative pressure and sucking smoke down the flue.

Reply to
EXT

That's why it's mixed stiff.

But, I'd ask what's the rest of the chimney--a flue liner block doesn't a chimney make; it needs lateral protection/support.

--

Reply to
dpb

The chimney is made with clay flue liners all the way down.

JaKe

Reply to
jkdrummer

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: ...