more septic woes

A while back I got excellent advice in regards to finding my septic tank. It was good stuff to know, given I was getting ready to pour a concrete walkway over both covers. (Since I framed in a shaft through a walkway to provide access to the tank cover). Today's question: My buddy Henry cant flush his basement toilet after it has rained for several hours. Is something wrong with the drainage field? What are some other problems that might fit this symptoms. Thanks in advance. herr owen

Reply to
herr owen

The drainage field is getting infiltration from the surface water. So the drain field trenches are holding water a bit higher than the level of the septic tank outlet or distribution box. Not a surprise, rain water getting to it. The trenches get covered, erosion paths get formed, water seeks to be drained, it goes down into the drainage field. Carries some dirty water with it, too. Basement toilet is the lowest point. Some day your friend may find a surprise on the floor after several days of rain.

Reply to
Michael Baugh