Mixing gas and 2 cycle oil question...

I think that's one and two thirds jigger. Surely you have one of those.

Reply to
mm

"SteveB" wrote in news:kb86h5-2d82.ln1 @news.infowest.com:

He said: >> too much oil causes a lean situation and running hot.

:-)

Reply to
Red Green

Well, I guess it's just a matter of terminology. Rich and lean have meant in the past, if I recall correctly, the air/gas mixture, with the resulting circumstances being either a fouled plug, running hot and damaging components, or just running crappy. Since lean mixtures don't really run crappy (in my experience) but rather tend to run hot and burn up stuff, again it's terminology. And rich mixtures can foul plugs, build up carbon, or just run crappy. In a two stroke mix, that could be extrapolated to describe the differences in performance and engine/parts life, but that would be comparing apples to oranges.

Therefore, how does running too much oil cause the engine to run hot since it adds more lubrication? Isn't that a condition that occurs when there is too little oil and the parts are seizing on each other? Hmmm? Too much oil has, in my vast experience never caused an engine to seize, but rather load up, and that loading up may cause various problems. But not running hot and seizing. I've burned up chain saws by running too much gas, but never running too much oil.

I guess I'm confused.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

No, you are not confused. Too much oil in the mix makes the mix VERY slightly thicker, which may SLIGHTLY impeded it's flow through the carb jets, resulting in a SLIGHTLY lean condition. The BIG difference in a rich mixture is that it makes the gas less explosive,and therefore the combustion chamber temp is lower, and things get fouled with the unburned mixture. A second problem with the cooler combustion is that carbon deposits do not get burned off as they develop and eventually the rings seize in the piston due to the buildup, and break. Before that, the excess oil that is squelching the combustion will cause hard starting and plug fouling.

Reply to
salty

You trying to start a race riot? That's Jigo-American, now. You walk up to a measuring glass and call it a jigger, it's likely to punch your lights out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's my theory, of using 32:1 for everything. I've never siezed up an engine by using too much oil.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It has probably been already mentioned but...

Why not just buy the little '1 gal' bottles of oil to begin with, dump that into a 1 gal gas can and add 1 gal of gas. Too simple?? That's been my method for 30 years now...well sometimes I mix 2 gallons so that leaves me with the problem of how to figure out how to measure enough oil for 2 gallons...maybe if I dump _two_ '1 gal' oil thingies in a 2 gallon can?...Or if I buy the oil in '2 gal' doses?

Yes, sarcasm but then I would never have thought that such a simple process would take up a 46..well 47 post thread.

Harry K

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K