Mixing gas and 2 cycle oil question...

top posting fixed

Storm> Baby bottle from the dollar store, marked in ounces.

Actually it is important to measure the oil. Too much oil will actually cause the engine to run lean which causes damage and lack of power and will also cause excessive carbon deposits.

Reply to
George

Thats what I do. Accurate and easy to use. A big bottle lasts me a few years. The one I buy also has fuel stabilizer in it which is a good thing because todays gas formulations spoil quickly.

Reply to
George

I use a one liter pop bottle to mix my gas. 1/2 liter is just enough to finish whatever yard work I need to do. I top up the trimmer tank with the remaining half. 1:50 of 1 liter is 1000\\50 equals 20 mls. I use a graduated plastic bottle from the Dollar Store to measure the

20 ml of 2 stroke oil. Works great.
Reply to
PaPaPeng

At 1:50 mix the engine is indeed sensitive to a rich mix. Took me a long time and a lot of frustration to figure that out. Then once hot and it stalls it would never start again until the engine is allowed to cool. I even dismantled the whole engine to try to figure out why it was so hard to start. Having eliminated every possible cause I figured out it must be the fuel oil mix as in actually measuring the stuff instead of winging it. That fixed the problem.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Hey, WTF....You stole my Idea..................... I'm Pissed..................LOL Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

They sell 2 cycle oil now with built in measuring dispenser on the top of the container. You just remove the cap and squeeze the bottle until the dispenser is filled to your mix ratio. Then just pour it out into your 2 cycle 1 gallon gas can. Shake and use. Put the cap back on the gas can before you shake it.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Accuracy is important.

Go to a motorcycle shop and buy a "Ratio Rite". Any shop that sells dirt bikes will have them in stock. It will measure oil for any ratio with any quantity of fuel.

The Reverend Natural Light

That's interesting. Do you have any evidence of this?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks. NEver heard that before now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, do unto others as they do unto you. Go to the dollar store, and buy a baby bottle. That's graduated in ounces.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

too much oil causes a lean situation and running hot.

S. Barker

I do.

S. Barker

Actually, too much oil causes a lean condition, but also, counter-intuitively, a cooler operating temp, as the excess oil causes that lean mixture to burn slower and cooler.

A lean mix in a 4 stroke will indeed cause it to run hotter.

Reply to
salty

BZZZZZZTTT! Wrong again.

S. Barker

Yes, you were wrong again. I was trying not to rub your face in it.

Reply to
salty

negative . i was not incorrect in anything i said. Call the stihl rep and have him explain it to your simple mind. I'm done with this thread.

S. Barker

I have no idea what "Stihl rep" you talked to, but he was probably a sales rep and didn't know what he was talking about. Either that or he said something and you misinterpreted it. In either event, you are still wrong.

Too much oil in gas/oil pre-mix leans the mixture, but at the same timer, LOWERS the combustion temp, and this applies to all brands, not just Stihl. The oil supresses the explosion. More oil, less fire.

Reply to
salty

I use synthetic 200:1 for everything from 32:1 - 50:1.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Say what?

Steve