Mist settling on paint

I left the shower heating up too long and wound up with condensation on the upper part of the bedroom walls that I'd just painted a couple of weeks earlier. Now the upper part is shinier than the lower part, with a jagged boundary between the two sections. Is there anything I can do to smooth out the appearance and make the transition unnoticeable short of painting again? If I have to paint, can I paint just around the jagged area, or will it look bad if I don't paint the entire wall?

Reply to
Harlan Messinger

This sounds weird. It shouldn't happen to paint that was applied correctly and allowed to dry thoroughly. What kind of paint did you use (brand and type)? What was the surface like before you painted? And most important, how long did you allow the paint to dry before using the shower again?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It was Benjamin Moore Regal interior latex, Eggshell AquaVelvet, pastel base. (Yarmouth Blue, for what it's worth.) It happened over a week after the last coat went on. The old paint was off-white. The walls were clean, but because I'd experimented with some paint colors right on the wall, I'd gone over them with two coats of Kilz latex primer. I don't recall noticing the current texture before the mist, and the shininess seems to be where the mist had settled.

I just brought in a brighter light and reassured myself that the problem doesn't extend beyond the two spots, each about three feet wide, where I first noticed the runs. Whew. Any maybe the mist was a coincidence--maybe I only noticed the runs because I was expecting to see residue from the mist. But I'd still like to be able to do something about it, if possible and not too much trouble.

Other details: one of the problem spots is on an outside wall, but the other isn't. Also, I thought maybe it had something to do with where I'd painted the tester colors (using Benjamin Moore's sample jars), but there's only a small overlap between the area where I'd tested paint and one runny area, and I hadn't tested where the other runny area is.

Reply to
Harlan Messinger

This is an odd sounding situation. I painted a bath last year and was amazed when I went to paint that the ceiling was still very moist in the pm from an am shower. My oil paint just slid, without sticking, until I dried it with a towel. Perhaps, since you painted part of the wall, it is smoother and just shows the steam more? Like on a mirror. What happens when you wipe the wall dry? Still shiny? That is something I haven't seen happen.

Reply to
Norminn