"Mighty Putty" On TV ?

Hello,

Anyone know anything about this product called "Mighty Putty" that always seems to be advertised by some pitchman on TV ?

What is it made of ?

Waterproof ?

Any good ? For what ?

B.

Reply to
Robert11

Probably it is not something new. I got the same kind of stuff years ago when I think it was called plumber's epoxy (or something like that) that was a different color. Don't get suckered by the demo of pulling a truck. It is not the surface application that is doing the job. The demo setup pushes the epoxy into all the holes in the plate. The total cross section of the epoxy in the holes is a lot more than any realistic use would have.

Check your local big box or other hardware store for a similar product. Buy one and try it out. No need to buy multiple amounts that you don't need now.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

It's a two part epoxy putty that you mix by kneading the material. The price on TV is astronomical. I buy it with a different brand name from a local "freight liquidator" store" for

Reply to
salty

We got some similar stuff at Ace Hardware. We've used it once, as a temporary patch in the eavestrough (gutter). Most of the uses they show in the commercial are garbage. It makes my husband shout at the tv every time it's on.

Drywall patch is cheaper and better for fixing drywall.

If you use it on the PVC fitting as they show, the plumber who ultimately has to fix the actual problem will have to saw the joint out and replace the fitting. It seems to me that you could fix that problem by just tightening the big ol' PVC nut.

Let's see--what else do they use it for? As an adhesive, I'd rather trust some appropriate glue than a putty that will take up space in the repair.

They use it as a wood putty and paint over it. Wood putty is cheaper and probably more paintable.

I'd never make a replacement cup handle out of it. It's just plain ugly.

For every use they make of it, there's something far better. However, we do have one roll of it in the junk drawer, in case some problem appears where it would be the ideal thing. A single roll isn't terribly expensive, but there's no point buying half a dozen at once, as Charlie Bress pointed out.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

It's useful for locking an elevator light switch in the on position when some idiot keeps turning it off.

Reply to
Pete C.

re: If you use it on the PVC fitting as they show, the plumber who ultimately has to fix the actual problem will have to saw the joint out and replace the fitting. It seems to me that you could fix that problem by just tightening the big ol' PVC nut.

Unless of course the fitting in question doesn't have a big ol' PVC nut *and* the putty fixes the actual problem.

When the glue joint began to leak on the seam of the PVC trap shown here I used some epoxy putty to reseal it:

Not repairing it in place as I did would have meant sawing out just about everything from where the drain exited the disposal to where it went into the floor. The epoxy putty lasted for many years until the disposal failed - at which point I had to replace it all anyway. A couple of bucks and 15 minutes isn't bad for what amounted to a permanent repair.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

As others point out it is available at any hardware store. I have not found it good for leaks.

BTW, I hate that fat bearded loudmouth that is yell to hawk his expensive stuff ;)

Reply to
Frank

I laugh about the link in a chain they make.

How many chains have I broke!!? Maybe one!

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Epoxy resin, hardener, and inert filler.

Good for jamming someone's lock, if that's what you want to know.

Overpriced. Oatey Plumber's Epoxy Putty sold for $2.00 a tube last time I bought some.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Shelf life isn't all that great. Gets lumpy as the two parts react from being in contact. No sense buying more than one tube to go bad in a year.

Reply to
Father Haskell

John McGaw

The stuff is good, but you can buy it cheaper at the local hardware store. Also most of the uses they suggest are not really good. For example the stucco they hung the hose hanger on is likely to fail and then you would end up with a stucco repair that would never look right. The leak fix, likely only needed a little tightening of the nut or replacement washer and now with that gunk on it, you would end up replacing several parts. etc.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well, yeah. But the one they showed in the commercial did, and my husband would kick my ass (figuratively speaking) if I crapped up that sort of joint with epoxy putty. As I said, we've used the epoxy putty before, where it's appropriate.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

To that point I'll mention that I keep all my epoxies and superglues in our kitchen freezer door shelf and their working life seems limitless.

It only takes a few minutes to bring them back to room temperature when needed.

I've got some rather costly electrically conductive epoxy that's been in there at least ten years and when I occasionally need a small amount to bridge some unsolderable joint the stuff works as well as it did when I first got it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Billy Mays? I can't say I enjoy his style much either, but I'd sure like to be receiving the kind of income he makes doing his thing.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"Robert11" wrote in news:xIidncyyjaHY7R_anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

It's good for Billy Mays, the pitchman. I bet he could sell an air inflator that boasts "real U.S. air" vs ones that come from overseas.

Reply to
Red Green

AND then! He will sell space suit fart detectors.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

I didn't know that space suits farted. They should get that fixed...it could send an a'naut into orbit!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ever fart in the shower stall? I can't imagine what would happen is a space suit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My husband used to have a job where he had to wear a cleanroom suit. He referred to it as the Evil White Chimney. I imagine a space suit would be worse.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton