Mice...should we start keeping score?

I've got 2 already. They sure like peanut butter. :-)

I've been all around the perimeter of the house and can't for the life of me figure out where they are getting in. No gaps around pipes, no holes in siding (that I can find). Grrr.

Reply to
jdarius

Think cat.

Reply to
HeyBub

Just got rid of her. She was a good mouser, but we have a baby now and didn't want to deal with an indoor cat this Winter.

Reply to
jdarius

You're a beleiver of old wives' tales?

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Any dime sized opening will let an adult mouse in and can climb well so be sure to be inspecting above your head, but would guess around the garage door if you have an attached garage. They have a small living space requirement so if you are catching them inside they may be established there rather than a new one finding their way in every couple of nights. Keep the grass cut low and nothing against the home if possible to help keep a population build up away from the structure.

Reply to
Lar

LOL! No..no soul-stealing. Just didn't want to deal with litterbox, hairballs, etc. She went to a good home.

Reply to
jdarius

Yes...start keeping score and buy a LOT of traps or plan on re-using them.

One winter we caught 19 (one at a time) with the same trap. This wa a semi open lab / shop & now way to seal it up.

MIc gave up on the place when the rats moved in. Caught four rats one night...wiped out that group. The problem kinda went away for some reason.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Glad to hear it.

Babies and cats *do* mix fine. Seems, compared with a baby, litterbox and hairball concerns would be hardly anything. But anyhow..

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Come to think of it, a crawling infant or toddler plus mousetraps of any sort mix a lot worse than cats and babies! Seems the wrong tradeoff has been made..

IMO, of course.

Can kitty come back? New kitty?

Cheers, Banty

Reply to
Banty

And I would vastly rather have cats and babies than mice and babies!

Jo Ann

Banty wrote:

Reply to
jah213

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

...or dogs and their "accidents" on carpet that kiddie lays/crawls on.

Reply to
Al Bundy

In article , " snipped-for-privacy@doodle.com" writes: |> I've got 2 already. They sure like peanut butter. :-) |> |> I've been all around the perimeter of the house and can't for the life |> of me figure out where they are getting in. No gaps around pipes, no |> holes in siding (that I can find). Grrr.

As others have said, they can climb up anything, even foundation walls.

So check various vents on the exterior wall, like dryer and bathroom vents. They can make nests in your bathroom fan. Check to see there aren't any gaps at the bottom of the siding where it meets the foundation.

Make sure there are no gaps under your garage door.

Make sure there are no gaps between steps/sidewalk and the house.

You can try a metal box trap with the trap doors on either end that let the mice in but not out. Put that along the foundation at various places to see where they are running outside. That led me to seal up the gap between the steps and the house.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Mech

Sigh.

HeyBub

Stuff cracks with steel wool.

Mice can't handle it.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

I wouldn't suggest the still wool on exterior openings unless you will cap it with caulk. You will have a rust stain running down the side of the structure when it oxidises.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

If you want an easy-to-stuff, steel-wool equivalent that won't rust, try "Chore Boy" pads. Same thing, but made of copper. I've used those to sucessfully block rodent access around water pipes. Stuff 'em in there good, though -- it doesn't take much of a gap to make a mouse superhighway.

Jo Ann

Lar wrote:

Reply to
jah213

Got you beat. In the 8 years I've lived in this house, I've caught

293 mice in my basement. (I really do keep track!) October is the busiest month, with a total of 62 caught during this month. November is a close second. April & May tie for least busy at 8 mice each.

For the life of me, I cant find where they're coming in, and I've really really tried. My latest invention is a tv camera, recording to a computer so I can watch from which direction the mice apporach the trap from. Then I can keep backtracking until I see where they get in. Nothing to report yet.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

What does the baby have to do with it?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

"Without a doubt, the most famous ... is Towser. Born on April 21 1963, Towser lived at Glenturret Distillery for almost 24 years and caught a total of 28,899 mice (pity the person who kept score!) plus an uncounted number of rats, rabbits and pheasants in her life. Her tally of mice earned her a place in the Guinness Book of Records as the World Mouse-catching Champion. "

Reply to
HeyBub

Not to answer for the mother, but she might be afraid the cat would jump into the crib to "investigate" (cats ARE very curious) and might accidentally hurt the baby.

Reply to
aspasia