Metal thing across on cement steps. How do I do this?

I have a setp that I am redoing. When I finish I want one of those metal edge protectors on it. They appear to be imbedded as oposed to atached later (edges are flush with the concrete). Exctly how does one do that? And is it just a regular angled piece of (aluminum or stainless steel)?

Reply to
scott21230

It's supposed to have grooves in it to make it less slippery. The grooves sometimes don't work, especially when the steps are wet or icy, so they create a false sense of safety. You might want to reconsider the idea.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm referring to something that's not very deep though, like 1.5-2 inches. I thought they were there to hold up the concrete in high traffic areas, and have nothing to do with slippage.

Reply to
scott21230

I don't know what their purpose is, but I've seen the end results.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I've seen them. It's a piece of angle that has 1/4" rod welded into the backside and bent into hook shapes. Basically, if you were to hold the angle so it points upward (both legs down at 45 degrees), the "hooks" would be welded inside the angle, starting straight down before they curve into a 90 degree hook or bend. I don't know where to buy them, but if you plan on having them outside, I'd go with stainless steel if it's available.

Reply to
louie

Corner re-enforcement. Otherwise you need a radiused edge to keep it from chipping off, and that's even worse.

Reply to
Goedjn

OK, so it'a called a corner reinforcement. That's a start. Now exactly how does one install it?

Reply to
scott21230

Did you see Louie's description of the things? Based on that, they're installed while the cement is wet. Check his message and come back if this doesn't make sense.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

They are pushed/pressed into the wet 'crete after the step has been screed. Then finish troweling around 'em.

Can be obtained at jobber outlets, the big-box rarely carry them, look under conctete products in yellow pages

Reply to
sky

That should be......concrete products in yellow pages

Reply to
sky

sky - wrote:

Yep, that's how I figured 'em. Push them into the corner of the step when wet (I've never used them, just seen them, so take my words with many grains of salt). I don't know if it's necessary or not, but I would consider gently tapping on the angle for a few seconds or so after setting it in to let the vibration help the concrete flow around the hooked anchors.

Reply to
louie

It's actually called a non-slip nosing.

RicodJour

Picky,picky..... Didn't do the link, but have seen them with screws so they could be replaced later. Installation is a bit more difficult. tubing replaced the angled post mention earlier......hint...hint :)

Reply to
sky