metal screws?, replacement for today's crap duc tape?

The duc tape they sell today is crap. So, I was wondering, after the second failure downstairs on the dryer, ... has anyone use machine screws to connect light AL exhaust ducting? The only down side could see would be perhaps the lint gathering on the screw inside the duct and causing a problem.

(Yes, I know the old rubberized stuff is still available on line. I used to repair my down jackets with it :-)

Reply to
werwer

They do make a clamp for your project, I have one an it has been trouble free for two years.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Reply to
bamboo

Don't use screws, the points collect lint. It is a fire hazard.

Don't use duct tape, use the special aluminum skinned tape made for ducts. Duct take is NOT made for that use. The right take will cost more and will have a peel off paper over the adhesive.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You are not supposed to use screws for the reason you mentioned. Duct tape isn't used for ducts - it doesn't last. Buy a roll of the aluminum foil tape - it's stronger, has better adhesive and it lasts.

big box store carries the stuff as will most hardware stores.

RicodJour

Try using the PROPER tape... DUC tape is *NOT* duct tape...

Use aluminum DUCT tape.

They will collect crap and should be avoided if possible.

Reply to
Noozer

That IS duct tape.

You are getting duct and "duc" tape mixed up. The grey cloth stuff is "duc" tape and not used on ducts.

Reply to
Noozer

Use the round clamps they sell. Note that the Whirlpool dryers and Kenmores made by whirpool have a very short snout to attach the clamp to but it is possible to do it securely if you locate the locking screw mechanism to the bottom of the duct. Why whirlpool uses such a short pipe is beyond me. Maytag gives you several inches to attach the duct to.

Reply to
Art

Also don't buy those plastic friction fit dryer duct connectors. They fail in a few months.

Reply to
Art

The way that most dryers hook up is a pain in the @$$... Trying to line up a pipe behind the dryer with the one in the was is difficult.

I don't see why someone can't invent another method.

I've seen some dryers where you can move the output to the side instead of the rear. Still not the best method, but easier to hook up.

Reply to
Noozer

My suggestion is get the duct work situated where all the connections are happy.

Tape the joints with aluminum tape, use the type that comes with peel off backing, it's the best.

If the ducting setup is uncooperative you can use some screws on temporary basis & then remove them & tape over holes when done.

I've have some aluminum tape installations that are 20+ years old & still sound.

btw the AL tape isn't really all that much more expensive than duct tape.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

go to a heating and air conditioning supply house and buy your tape from there.... it will be of better quality than walmart or home cheapo tape.....

or you could use cheap tape but first spray the joint you want connected with some spray adhesive....

or use a big metal hose clamp......

Reply to
cornytheclown

I'd be interested in seeing a source for that information.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I don't remember duct tape ever being particularly good.

Reply to
scott21230

Definitely not when used on heating ducts. Others are right, use the aluminum type. Once on it is there for the ages.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The foil tape roll itself is about the same price, but it's only about

1/6 as long. Six times the price. R
Reply to
RicodJour

Well yes, but it is a specific duct tape and now what most people mean or think of when the term duct tape is used.

I don't know if the link will work, but if it does the second and thirdtape is the stuff to use. I have not seen the special variety for flex duct. Interesting.>>> Duct take is NOT made for that use. The right take will cost more>> and will have a peel off paper over the adhesive.>> You are getting duct and "duc" tape mixed up. The grey cloth stuff is> "duc" tape and not used on ducts.--Joseph MeehanDia duit

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

No, a source for the nomenclature "duc" tape as being different from "duct" tape.

Reply to
J. Clarke

There is nothing wrong with real duct tape. That "economy" stuff at wally etc is a different story.

second

Yes, thats the reason to use tape.

You could get it at at a real plumbing/heating supply store.

Reply to
George