Metal between floor and joists?

My family room floor squeeked horribly all over. I had new carpeting put in today and took advantage of the opportunity to put in the better part of a box of 2" drywall screws. Doesn't squeek anymore! (turns out many of the original nails completely missed the joists. Is that common?)

On about 3 or 4 of the screws, about a half inch down I hit metal. An inch away was fine.

I don't know anything about carpentry. What would the metal be? (House is

1983) thanks

The old carpeting was really expensive pure wool that still looked great. My wife has been complaining that she needed berber ever since we bought the house 12 years ago and I couldn't take it anymore. Oh well, at least the squeek is gone.

Reply to
toller

In cheaper housing, probably.

Probably metal blocking between joists. If you looked in the basement, you'd see a metal strapping over one joist nailed to the bottoms of the two to each side.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Said to say, yes.

HVAC or steel beams.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Metal plates are very common to protect electrical and plumbing. That way you do not drill into them.

Reply to
SQLit