MERV?

I have a newly installed Lennox HVAC system that uses one of those several inch-thick -- HCF 20-16, to be precise. The filter that was installed with it was a MERV 16. I see that these filters, which need to be replaced roughly once every 6-12 months, cost about $100, while the MERV 13 versions cost about a third of that.

So, OK, what's the value of MERV 16, compared to MERV 13? Allergens are not an issue, and since the new system was installed with the thick filters, replacing an old one with the thin filters, I really don't see any less dust accumulation in the house. I would assume the ducts are being kept similarly dust free. The ducts have actually never needed cleaning.

So why should I pay $60 more for a MERV 16 filter? Yes, I understand you get what you pay for, but I don't see me getting $60 of value.

Reply to
Doug