Maytag washer

From 1984, model A112.

Squeaks a bit during some cycles.

I took a peek, a little crud on pulleys, belts somewhat deteriorated (but I seen lots worse).

Won't hurt it to let it squeak, will it? Belts are maybe $20 ea. (there's 2).

What's needed to nurse one of these from year to year?

Thx, Willie

Reply to
Willie The Wimp

Depends on _what_ the squeak is -- if it's a minor rub somewhere, not so much. If it's a bearing, it could become more.

From description, I'd guess none of the above are the real culprit(s) unless possibly a belt slipping--but that tends to have very distinctive noise that should be apparent and belts would likely show significant glazing if so as well.

In general, they run 'til something breaks and needs fixing -- squeaks may be sign of where something is getting ready to fail altho it depends on what it actually is as noted...

--

Reply to
dpb

If the belts are slipping, the clothes won't come out as clean and it may not take as much water out on the spin cycle. Be sure the sliding motor mount is sliding also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Dude , the washer is 24 years old. Time to break down and buy a new one.

Reply to
Mikepier

Mikepier wrote: ...

Not necessarily--new ones in general are far less reliable than good-condition older ones.

Reply to
dpb