maytag Neptune control board repair

I'm trying to help out a friend who was unfortunate enough to have gotten stuck with one of these Neptune lemons. There is a resistor burned on the control board, and I am told that this usually takes out the small triac alongside it. I have obtained an NTE replacement for the triac and I'm going to replace it and the resistor, (is it 3900 ohms?) . But here's my question: This wax motor that has supposedly failed and caused this, do I really have to replace it or is it just there to prevent some child, (ot idiot) from opening the door during the spin cycle and having their arm removed? Will the door stay latched

otherwise with the motor not installed? I guess what I'm saying is that

we're all adults here, so after the board work is done, can this machine be rigged to work with out this troublesome part? In any case any further information or tips that anyone can provide with respect to

getting this washer running again will be most sincerely appreciated. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Bypassing a safety feature in a washer is never a good idea. Accidents are never planned, and you don't want to contribute to the possibility. With that said, it is up to you to decide how you modify your appliance.

The wax motor moves a plunger that locks the door and triggers a switch to let the board know that the door is locked. You could short the switch I suppose. But would the machine be bothered if it thinks the door is locked all the time? Good question.

There is a known connection between certain Neptune board burnouts and a related component elsewhere. One board component is related to the wax motor, and another is related to the fill valve. There are other relationships as well, perhaps 4 in all. The wax motor one is the most common. And replacing the wax motor along with the board is the suggested procedure, because it is not known which component is causing the problem with the other.

Reply to
ireallyknowthisstuff