Math question

It is an exact answer.

My exact answer is pour 55 gallons of motor oil in the pool (perhaps 0W20).

The oil, of course, floats. Measure the thickness of the oil layer. Since you know the thickness and the volume, determining the area is trivial.

Reply to
bud--

That would give only an upper limit to the area. The greater the deviation of the shape from circular, the greater the deviation of the computed area from the actual area.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Here's another: Measure the pH of the pool water. Add a known amount of acid, and measure the pH again. Compute the volume of water from the difference in pH readings.

Reply to
Doug Miller

True, I overlooked that. My solution wouldn't even come close.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

That's baaaddd.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

Errm...wouldn't you have to allow for the weight of ink in various areas?

Nice. dunno about this: Drop good sized weight in, measure difference in water level...

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

Isn't 17 the correct answer to everything? (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

No, that's where "42" came from.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Same idea, but way less messy:

1 - Mark the water level of the pool as it is right now. 2 - Drain the pool 1/2", 3/4", 1", whatever. 3 - Refill the pool to the original line, keeping track of how many gallons it takes.

"Since you know the thickness and the volume, determining the area is trivial."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Why do you have to drain it? Couldn't you just add 1/2" of water? It also seems odd to start playing with volumes when you want area. It could be done, but the added dimension would require you to be very precise - very precise - with the measurement of the change in water depth or the number would be as bad, or worse, as a guess.

RicodJour

First, let's realize that we're all just tossing out possible solutions as a brain exercise.

No more than would I expect the OP to pour 55 galons of 0W20 into his pool, would I expect him to drain/refill it to determine the area.

However, to answer your specific question - "Why do you have to drain it?":

Have you seen the OP's pool? It's filled right to the top of the skimmer, so adding a 1/2" of water would put the skimmer out of commision until the new water evaporated. By that time, all the debris that the skimmer would usually handle -- leaves, suntan oil, hair -- would become a toxic waste composition that would eat away at the liner, causing deterioration of the concrete walls, resulting in a massive leak and a sinkhole that would swallow the OP's house.

With that possiblity on the table, I'd suggest draining off the 1/2".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

But there were three books in the series. Three times 17 is 42 (or close enough).

Reply to
HeyBub

The skimmer on my neighbors' pool has a throat 145mm high. If I put the end of a white plastic ruler against the bottom of the throat, the ruler looks bluish below the waterline and pinkish above. This makes it easy to read the depth of water in in the throat with a precision greater than 1 mm.

Now see what units your water meter measures. Wait until the water is near the bottom of the skimmer throat. Write your depth in mm. Write your meter reading.

Fill. Write your new depth and meter reading. See how much water was used and convert to liters. Divide that by mm to get square meters within 1%.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Ideally, choose a windless, overcast day when the water temperature is near the dew point.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever seen a pool where there are absolutely no ripples and the water level isn't heaving even a little from some sort of hydraulic pendulum effect?

Reply to
mike

You can not calculate area from the perimeter of an irregular shape. Draw the shape on graph paper, then add up the squares. Try to guess the percentage included for those squares cut off by the pool boundaries. The smaller the squares, the greater the accuracy.

Reply to
Phisherman

Look at the blueprints. I don't do math :-/

My pool is shaped like a snowman ( oOo ) Go figger.

Reply to
Oren

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. I drew four curves - drew one curve of one end of the pool, copied it and moved the copy to the far end of the pool, scaled it to reverse its direction, and drew two curves tangent to the ends of the end curves. Then right clicked on the surface and chose the area function. It took me longer to write this than to draw it.

RicodJour

yes you can

using calculus...... simpsons method

Reply to
me

"HeyBub" wrote in news:CsednQR2b_upUFDXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Hmmm, let's see...[digging way down in corners of pocket] a screw, pocket lint, handy box knockout, reminder note that went through the wash...errr, how's my credit lookin'?

Reply to
Red Green