Mastic Adhesive or Thinset Mortar

I am installing ceramic tile in a bathroom tub/shower enclosure. I will be installing =BD cement board to the studs in the enclosure. I am unclear on if I should use mastic adhesive or thinset mortar to secure the tiles to the wall (cement board). Why should I use one over the other?

Regards, Jim Lewis

Reply to
Jim

Regards, Jim Lewis

On cement board in a shower use thinset. I would only use Mastic in a dry location and even then only over drywall. It may work in a wet area like a shower but that's not what I consider to be the best practice.

The thinset itself forms a component of the wall's waterproofing. Some adhesives may even soften due to hot water but maybe not what you want to use.

There may be other specific reasons

Reply to
PipeDown

You can use either or. They do make a mastic for inside the shower.

If it were me (or at least what I have done in the past) is to use thinset. If water gets behind the grout (at it probably will some day) it wont loosen anything up.

One DISADVANTAGE for thinset is that when putting tiles into the shower you need to go from the bottom up. Thinset doesnt really have that great sticking capabilites. If you put a tile up in the middle of the wall it will slide or fall down. (yeah it happened to me)

Mastic on the otherhand has great sticking capabilities. I just trust it to keep the tiles on for the long haul. (I've had it fail in one of my showers)

If you havent put the walls up yet, you might either consider wonderboard (cement board) or hardiboard (composite myster material)

Hardiboard is MUCH easier to cut. You can score and snap it. With wonderboard its much more difficult to get nice clean cuts (unless of course you use a mason blade on a circular saw (just makes allot of dust))

Hope this helps.

Reply to
BocesLib

Jim wrote: Why should I use one over the

this stuff is da bomb!

the time you save in mixing alone pays for this. just stick it and forget it. It sets very nice.

.Do you use spacers? I do. Yes. Makes all the difference.

I used this on a bath surround, the product claims you can grout with it. NOT. You can, but it takes several passes as this stuff will shrink a little. (which is the glue)

it has plenty of fine sand in it...yule like it.

darn some mixing! :)

Reply to
wannabe

it comes in white only, and in 1/2 ga also

Reply to
wannabe

The OP is asking about a shower installation. The stuff you linked to stipulates that it is not to be used in showers.

Use latex-modified thinset.

RicodJour

It say, "shower floors"...

I used it. It has a good tact when you set. I think it would be fine, then use a flexi additive to the grout. I haven't tried the type you mention, it may be ideal and much better.

Reply to
wannabe

Right. I read the first line "Not recommended for shower" and stopped reading. I don't see the advantage in using a product that has that sort of limitation. I'd want to use one product for the entire shower.

Advice still stands.

RicodJour

I kind of agree with you

I'd use it again on shower walls but never again as a grout. it has a very nice tac and it's premixed.

p r e m i x e d kin to p r i m o

Reply to
wannabe

don't nobody wanna buy that shit!

Reply to
wannabe

Too many limitations. Not worth it.

Look what its suppose to be used for. Appearantly this stuff doesnt like water too much, why use it in the shower then?

Reply to
BocesLib

Hey you know how I feel.

Ya'll do what you want.

Reply to
wannabe

I would expect any premix compound to require air to dry whether it was water or solvent based. Cement based thinset will set with no air because it is a chemical reaction. You can't have real portland cement based products be premix.

Reply to
PipeDown