Main water shutoff help

My inside water shutoff valve is not working. I need to shutoff the outside valve and I don't know what I'm looking at. I see a flat ring "cap" with a 5 sided bolt in the center. It says "Hays-Erie" Water around the top. Is this the shutoff or just the nut to hold on the cap? This head sits on top of a pipe approx 2" in diameter coming straight up from the ground.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
DJA

Mine has a cap that comes off to keep dirt out, then inside the pipe and a ways down is the turn off. It uses a special tool that fits over the slot to turn the water off and on. You can usually borrow one from the water dept in your city, or buy it at any hardware store. Dunno if yours is the same or not. Good luck.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

It may or may not be legal for you to use the water company shutoff.

To answer your question as I understand it. You are looking at the cover to the water meter housing. Vice grips with a gentle pressure will grab that nut just fine. Pliers also usually work. One to two revolution will release the cover. The actual cutoff will be at the bottom of the pit on the street of the meter.

Most likely you will need what is called a "street key" to reach the cutoff as they are below the freeze line for a given area. Lowes and Home Depot sell them here. In your area you may have to visit a real plumbing store. You might want to peek in the hole before you buy the tool to see how deep it is in case they sell more than one length in your area.

Just so you wont break something turning it off or on most of the meter set gate valves are about 1/4 turn from on to off. I have seen some older ones that something between 1/4 and 1/2. The tool has a T shaped handle and you should be able to see the stop guide on the valve.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

That's the cap for a "Buffalo Box" . It belongs to the utility. The cast pipe may go way deep in the ground to reach the service "curb stop" valve.

The valve belongs to the utility and they have the long key to operate it.

If you tamper with it, any damage will be assessed to you. Call them and explain why you need a temp service shut off.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I just caught the 2" part of the above. I still THINK it is just a cap.

But proceed with caution.

Reply to
Colbyt

That sounds like what I have outside.

The 5 sided bolt in the center is the shutoff, you need a special wrench for it .

There is a two part tube that connects to the actual valve below the frost line.

Contact your water department .

Reply to
marks542004

I know you didn't ask, but I'll offer this advice anyway:

Never turn a shutoff fully on or fully off. Always back it off about an

1/8 of a turn from it's full stop.

Many times a shutoff will seize up from not being used and you want a little play in both directions to free it up. If it seizes against it's full stop, you may not be able to wiggle it free.

Is this by any chance what's wr> My inside water shutoff valve is not working. I need to shutoff the

Reply to
DerbyDad03

FWIW, I live in CA. The water utility did not offer to shut it off for me, but they did let me borrow the tool. I then bought my own.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri