Main panel to main panel wiring in converting multi-family to single family dwelling

I have been remodeling a 2 family home into a single family home which had 2 main panels. I would like to make one panel into a subpanel but am not sure how the grounding should be on the subpanel. Can I leave it ground the way it is (as a main panel) or should it be ground to the other main panel now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
cjo004

As a sub panel, it will get its feed from the main panel. The feed will be four wires, two hot, one neutral, and one ground. In the sub panel there will be a neutral buss and a ground buss, which are isolated from each other. The neutral loads will be attached to the new neutral buss, and the grounds to the ground buss. Be sure to remove the bonding jumper which currently connects the neutral/ground buss to the panel

Reply to
RBM

If you have to ask this, I sure wouldn't want to live in a house with your wiring. Good luck with the inspector.

Reply to
Toller

Thanks for your reply Toller. Now have fun signing in to yahoo.

Reply to
cjo004

I hope you will be living there!

Reply to
Toller

The quick and dirty approach is to just power both panels from ONE meter.

IF you want to turn a service panel into a sub-panel you have to separate the GROUND buss from the NEUTRAL buss. And the NEUTRAL buss has to be "floating" relative to the panel case. Odds are that many of your neutral wires will not reach your new neutral buss.

Reply to
John Gilmer

posted for all of us...

Asked and answered MANY times - do your own research.

Reply to
Tekkie®