Lumber for covered patio

Hi,

After 12 years, we are finally getting around to building the patio cover/trellis. We live in Northern CA and we are looking to build a

6x6 post frame, with dual 4x6's bolter to form beams longitudinally, with 2x6 joist on top of that. Finally, 2x2's on top to provide shade.

While I would rather use redwood, cost is a factor, so I am looking for a recommendation on lumber that will be painted.

Also, I'll be using a Simpson anchor to hold the 6x6's on the already installed patio. Can I treat the lower end of the 6x6 if I will be painting?

Thanks to all.

Reply to
jmgreen_

I would suggest rough (resawn) Douglas Fir. Prime & paint prior to construction, touch up as needed afterwards. Just make sure whoever provides the timber that it is consist dimension. I recently built a patio cover & the resawn / rough DF 2x10's ran from 1 7/8 to 2 1/8 & the width were off by even more. We used the Simpson hanger for rough lumber but even then some had to be trimmed & some were loose.

What Simpson base did you use? I suggest one that give a substantial standoff from the concrete; like the EPB66.

Most of the Simpson post bases do not have enough standof (only 1") f to protect the post from water.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Ditto what Bob said. We're doing a 13'x23' patio cover right now, in fact, and are using untreated Douglas fir.. summertime in south Texas, and it'll hold up.

Reply to
Dee

You might consider cedar....In Northern CA you have a lot of termites and you can get the same termite resistance as redwood for a bit less....and it smells great too....The problem with doug fir is it is a favorite for termites...good luck on your project...Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac