Low pH water on mains

Hello,

I am on mains water, but happen to have a low incoming pH of 6.7, maybe

6.8 at most. The water is very low in TDS, alkalinity, and iron and manganese are within drinking regs. We have copper piping also. Showering is uncomfortable, and the shower can get stained very easily due to the acidity.

Is it worth treating such a level of water acidity? I had an AN before, but the company that sold it to me had no idea what they were selling me, and as a result, it was a disaster. I ended up with hard, hard alkaline water that felt terrible and was unpotable.

Reply to
None

LOL. 6.7 and 6.8 are almost neutral. Most people would think your water is ideal.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Well, do you have any idea what might cause problems in the supply? Stuff in the pipes maybe ...bacteria etc?

Reply to
None

I haven't heard a problem stated yet. Don't know what showering is uncomfortable means. Too hot, eats your skin, causes a rash? Shower stained with what? Why would a stain be caused by acid, which the water isn't at 6.8 pH.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

The top of our sink is slanted in a way that it collects water. Water that collects there, if there for a day or so develops a greenish outline, which i presume is oxidated copper. I have never seen this in any other house. Pink stains also occur quite frequently in the shower. Surely even that level of acidity can cause pipe corrosion.

Reply to
None

You apparently have a problem but it isn't likely due to the pH. A pH of 6.8 is higher than most rainwater, even if you the air where you live is pristine. The pH of even glass distilled water is usually well below that of your water. I would say your water is soft, but sure can't say how you are getting green and pink stains; it isn't likely to be copper corrosion.

I presume your data on the water chemistry is based on water taken from a tap in your home and not just utility company data. If it isn't from your tap, then water supplies may be cross connected somewhere upstream of your house or your lines, and in that case you wouldn't know what the chemistry might be.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

George,

I have a readout of parameters from when I had it tested a year or so ago:

Iron: 0.076 mg/l Manganese: 0.027 mg/l Nitrates: 10.8 mg/l pH: 6.7 (although it went as high as 6.88 apparently in an upstairs tap) Conductivity: 118 TDS: 79 Alkalinity: 29.2 mg/l Hardness: 30 mg/l Turbidity: 0.19

I'm no expert, do you know how water with this sort of chemistry might behave in relation to the problems I reported?

Reply to
None

Nope, don't have a clue. I don't see a problem with any of the above. The problem may be with some parameter not include in the test.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon