Looking for thermostat to operate at near 32F - 0C

Thanks to all who responded

Have my shopping list set.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Intend to use small ceramic heater/fan Should take care of moving the air around to keep things balanced Space is only 10'x10'x'8'. So not much is required

And I'm not willing to install a NG heater for this

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Ceramic heater at floor level should do it.

Please let us know how it works out.

.

Intend to use small ceramic heater/fan Should take care of moving the air around to keep things balanced Space is only 10'x10'x'8'. So not much is required

And I'm not willing to install a NG heater for this

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Very simple. Use a NC relay and control it with the refrig t/stat

Reply to
clare

That's a mechanical version of the one in the link I posted elsewhere. I use thermostats of this type all the time because they are so versatile and easy to adjust via the keypad. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Grainger has many Tst. it is up to you to pick what you want, if you are going to leave heater on at all times you should use back up Tst.

Reply to
grumpy

Nope refrigerator Tst. works in opposite direction it must be one that controls heat

Reply to
grumpy

Can that be translated into plain English ?

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Made perfect sense, to me. Use the Tstat, to signal the relay primary. When the refrig stat is calling, that will invert the binary output, so as to make a NC signal for the secondary, instead of the NO (close on rise) signal from the Tstat. Really very simple. Scooter, try to stay awake. This is on the test, and yes, I can see you in the back row.

.

Can that be translated into plain English ?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Normally closed relay - then the thermostat energizes the coil and opens the contacts.

Reply to
clare

NC is normally closed. The normal position of relay and switch contacts is their position when no outside force is acting on the device. The refrigerator thermostat normally kicks the fridge on when the temp gets too high by closing a set of contacts. The thermostat would energize your relay to open the relay contacts if the temp was above your set point. They, in turn, would shut your heater off. The thermostat's contacts would open if the temperature gets below your set point. That would denergize the relay. The normally closed contacts of the relay would close. That would allow power through them to your heater. It would work fine but there are off the shelf products to do the same thing.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It's true that it would turn off too quickly, but if set properly, could still prevent freezing.

Would wear out more quickly as well.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Only takes a relay to reverse that.

It would not stay on long, though, and would wear out faster. Thanks to TDD for reminding me of that.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

That's what the span adjustment is for. You set a thermostat for say

35°F with a span of 3°F. Depending on whether you set it as "cut-in" or "cut-out" determines the behavior. If you have a heater you wish to control, the T-stat is set to 35°F "cut-out" and 32°F "cut-in". This will preventing the heater from going on and off and on and off. The heat will turn on at 32° and off at 35° but there will be some overshoot with the temperature where it may hit 37° after the heater is cut off. That's why the thermostats have adjustable spans so you can find a setting that will give you the average temperature you want. In food service, I have to fiddle with the T-stat settings to keep a proper temperature range where coolers may be opened and closed constantly by the kitchen staff. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Ok I get it now

Reply to
Attila Iskander

TC-3-Thermostatically-Controlled/dp/B0006U2HD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382966814&sr=8-1&keywords=pump+house+outlet

Reply to
46hillbilly

TC-3-Thermostatically-Controlled/dp/B0006U2HD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382966814&sr=8-1&keywords=pump+house+outlet

Reply to
46hillbilly

TC-3-Thermostatically-Controlled/dp/B0006U2HD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382966814&sr=8-1&keywords=pump+house+outlet

Reply to
46hillbilly

TC-3 Thermo Cube

Reply to
46hillbilly

You can usually find these things at a feed store. They use them for stock tanks and barns.

Reply to
gfretwell