Looking for safety switch covers

Surely you can improvise something. Or just cut the switch paddle short and stubby.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I think you can get the hinged boxes at Army Ballistic Missile Supply Surplus Store.

They have guidance systems and recently got a new order of nose cones from Taiwan.

Reply to
mm

Just helped do an installation of a tankless water heater for a customer. My part of it was wiring the heater (it's got electric ignition). It's wired to a switch inside the house. The customer is concerned that the switch could be mistaken for a light switch and turned off, as am I, so I looked for some kind of cover for it with no luck. I was hoping to find something like the little rectangular metal box covers that one sees on furnace switches; you know, the ones that flip up to. The only ones I could find, however, have a switch and a fuse mounted in a duplex box, with the cover over the fuse, not the switch (I don't need a fuse anyhow).

These little covers would be perfect. Are these available anywhere for use with switches? I'm thinking either a cover plate that has the safety cover built into it, or a cover that could be screwed over an exisiting switch plate.

I did find some interesting switch covers on line. These ones

fit over any standard light switch that you want to make sure either doesn't get turned on or off by mistake. However, they're a bit expensive, I think, plus they can get lost.

The other alternative that I'm going to use in the meantime are those little plastic tabs you can screw onto a switch to keep it in one position or the other. Also not ideal, since you then need a tool to flip the switch.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

There are plastic switchguards available which are like small boxes with hinged lids which fasten to the coverplate screws. You can pop open the cover with your fingers to get at the switch, but it takes some intention. I've used them for kitchen disposal switches and similar applications.

Take a look at these:

Or this (same item at higher price, but shorter URL):

KJS

Maybe the local hardware store has some "kid safety" product that would help?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 3/26/2008 11:18 PM KJS spake thus:

In our contest for the most appropriate solution to the problem I gave, the winner is ... you. This looks the closest to what I was asking for. Thanks.

By the way, you might consider getting a news reader that doesn't chop up long URLs (like Thunderbird, what I use). Just a suggestion.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You didn't go to the local electrical supply place did you? These things do exist, but maybe not at Home Cheapo.

Reply to
Bob M.

People who boutht thtat, bought this, they say:

A screw extractor that looks pretty good, if it works

Reply to
mm

When they chop them, just click on reply and then put the pieces back together again, by clicking Delete twice. That's what I did to get to the link and it worked fine.

Reply to
mm

On 3/27/2008 3:50 PM Bob M. spake thus:

Home Despot? I think not . Nope, I went to a real electrical supply place. At first, the guy had no idea what I was talking about, until I mentioned furnaces. Apparently, the only switch covers they carry are on weatherproof boxes.

Speaking of stuff they carry (or don't) at electrical suppliers, I was really surprised recently to find out that these places don't carry the oval-head screws used to hold switch and outlet covers on. When I asked, all they could show me were round-head screws, which don't look right at all (wrong shape, and ugly zinc-chromate finish); they claimed that this is what electricians used (I don't believe that). I finally found the right screws at an Ace Hardware store (nickel ones in this case).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I bought a few of those exact type of covers several years ago to cover the light switches to the motion sensored floodlights outside. They work perfectly for their purpose and they pop on and off with a solid click. I have yet to lose one.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

But typically you don't cover a safety switch. The usual really common installation for that residential application is to install a red handled toggle switch with a red colored plate.

Reply to
George

Where's the switch located? Is it actually in a location where it is conveniently accessible and actually could be mistaken for a light switch?

If it is, I humbly suggest it was placed in the wrong location. I have a switch for the ice wires on my house and I purposely placed it where it won't ever be mistaken for a light switch *and* labeled it as to it's purpose. The idea is "intention". Based on it's location and labeling, I seriously doubt anyone would flip this switch "just to see what it would do".

I did the same for my garbage disposal. It's located behind the dish drain rack, well away from any light switches. Again, you have to want to use it, and if so, you'll know it's purpose by the label.

Just my thoughts.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 3/28/2008 8:49 AM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

Yes, it is. See below.

Point taken. It ended up where it is because, well, there was an existing outlet that I took power from, and it was convenient (i.e., easiest) to put the outlet and the switch in a box in the same location. I suppose what a guy should have done was to put the switch in a separate box, out of reach and labeled. Next time.

I think I'm going to go with the "baby-proof" solution. Cheap, effective, and nothing to lose.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl