Just to add another comment -- metals like coppy alloys, and aluminum
actually weld together if pressed hard enough. That is essentially what
is at the heart of the problem. The dielectric grease would be good,
but I though the regular silcon stuff might be easier to find, it being
a common hardware store item.
Lots of good posts here. Fixtures and bulbs made in China are a big part of
the problem. Silicon spray/grease or WD40 can help. Do not overtighten
when installing. When removing, if the glass separates from the metal base,
turn off the power and have at it with pliers.
After you get the bulb out, how do you prevent this from recurring?
Others will advise slathering the bulb with all manner of lubricants:
Silicon, baby oil, Glycerin, chicken fat, nose oil.
Instead (or including), replace the bulb with a screw-in florescent. This
bulb will probably outlast the fan.
This would be a good idea if you like the quality of the light. I've
always felt that this problem is caused by heat buildup at the base of
the bulb. Especially if they burn base up or enclosed like in globes or
recessed fixtures. Even more so if they're mushrooms like RSPs or RFLs
with the slim necks.
I bought some of this stuff a few years ago and it works great.... haven't had a
problem removing a single bulb since I started using it, and it used to be a
MAJOR problem for me.
A little $4 tub will probably last you the rest of your life. The stuff is like
silicon grease in appearance, only it has the consistency of a hard wax. A
little goes a very long way.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.