Light switch height

The intention was to use 3-way switches. I'll take ur advice and place the switch where no one has to bend down.

Thank you

Reply to
sidwelle

In parts of the Philippines, both switches and outlets are coded to be at least 48" above the floor - ostensibly for flooding potential in rainy seasons.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Sure, many words are mispronounced

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It probably won't get that wet where the OP is when it floods in the Philipines.

Reply to
micky

You really don't trigger a 3 way on a staircase if it has fewer than 6 risers. There is no requirement for a 3 way in a room. You can have the required switch on any wall in the room (or even outside the room). It is a horrible design if it is not near the door but the NEC is not a design manual.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sometimes one wonders which hat the 'code' is pulled out of.

Friend is building a garage about 50 feet from his house. If no electricity was installed he would not need an outside light, however by putting power to the garage the building inspector insists that he have an outside light.

The inspector also wants him to have the child proof recepticals installed in it. A few other odd things seem to be required by this inspector. My friend is not going to question the inspector, but just going along with him. Probably a wise move.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'd want the light anyway. No idea why you need childproof receptacles though. The receptacles in the garage were all at 48" for convenience. I put a GFCI circuit.

In my case, there was no inspector.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Install 3 way switches 45 inches from the floor level you will be on when operating the switch. When on the "house" floor level you will be using the switch in the house. When in the garage you will be using the switch in the garage. Is there a "man door" in the garage? to the outside? If so the switch should be within a foot of the latch side of that door at 45 inches. Or wire "4 way" with one at each entrance/exit

- all 45" from the floor where they are located and expected to be used.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

One is ALREADY inside the house from the OP. It will HAVE to be a 3 way, minimum. If there is a "man door" there may be an arguement for an "N Way" setup but REALLY - you only need to turn the light on or off at each entry/exit. When entering the garage from the house turn the light on in the house. When leaving the garage to the house turn it off from insidethe house ( or move it to the garage). The switch in MY garage is on the garage side of the wall at the standard height from the garage floor, which puts it at door-knob height, and it is about 45 inches from the man-door. The outside light at the man-door has the switch just inside the door and provides enough light into the garage to allow you to see and find the garage-light switch. The light on the garage door opener provides enough light to get around the garage and get to the switch at the door when entering from the driveway - just have to remember to turn off the garage light before exiting through the garage door. Not harf when the garage door opener button is 4 inches from the light switch.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Uncertain about your state, but in mine, inspectors don't need a license. There are horror stories of inspectors missing violations or stating violations that aren't true. Check the codes.

Reply to
Hawk

The lack of real-world literacy in America is appalling. Not all that good in Canada either but I REALLY notice it in the USA. People also say nuculous instead of nucleus. Then again, you Yanks forget the u in Honour, Colour, and Humour all the time - - - -<BG> and your "ruff" leaks in the rain (regional pronunciation - not spelling,) Eh?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Apparently a lot fo people don't (even though they should), but just repeat the stuff they heard.

Also the word "prescription" DOES NOT start with "per".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

The majority of what people call spelling errors in my posts are NOT spelling errors but TYPING errors.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Why is that so hard to figure out. They are not going to make you run power just for a light but if it is already there, spend the $10 and put a light in. I do agree this is getting pretty close to a design issue but these folks rewrite the code every three years and they are protecting their phony baloney jobs.

T/R receptacles will be the standard soon and that is all they are reflecting.

Reply to
gfretwell

The troll to whom you are responding is making a snide comment about a certain group whose pronuciation of ask and escape don't match his conception of what is correct.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal
[snip]

I had a teacher in 7th grade, who always called the letter R something that sounded like "arrah".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I try not to jump in the mud hole with a pig.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I worked for a supervisor one time that mixed up his R and L. He even spelled that way. For example if he wrote down Bloom, he ment Broom like you sweep the floor with. A bruse on the arm was colored Brack and Brue. He said the words like he spelled them.

He had a daughter that I went to school with . She was mostly ok, but did seem to be about a brick ot two short of a load.

Both were good people and fun to be around.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I had an official tech manual with a schematic diagram of an astable multivibrator. Under the drawing it said in big bold letters

FRIP-FROP

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Even mistakes in spelling are typographic errors when typed.

Reply to
FromTheRafters