light switch-fan wiring

I have an older 1950 era home and want to replace a light fixture attached to the wall (with its own switch) with a ceiling fan/light and install a wall switch for the fan/light. There is no wall switch intalled for this upstairs bedroom now. Question is how to do the wires for the switch?. The current light has 2 wires going to it and they are both the same color.

Note: The previous owner updated to a 200 amp circuit breaker in the basement but the intallation wasnt the best in the world.Part of the house has newer grounded outlets and most of the upstairs and other parts of the house have the older wiring. I had the home inspected and the inspector said there is nothing really functionally wrong with the way its wired its just not everything was rewired.

It would be very hard to run a new cable to the breaker box from upstairs hust for the fan and light switch. Id like to use the wire already there.

Reply to
George Macomber

In any electrical project you need to find out which wire is hot, and which is neutral. Turn off the breaker supplying the light (or whatever), remove the fixture, wire nut one wire for safety, wire nut a long test lead to the other, connect the test lead to one lead of a suitable meter or test lamp, and the test lamp/meter lead to a known good ground. Plumbing is usually grounded well enouigh, but care is indicated if you have any plastic in a plumbing system. Water heaters are sometimes isolated, so use the cold water supply pipe as a probable ground. If your tools don't include some hefty battery and alligator clips, get some at Radio Shack. If the lamp/meter gives a positive indication when the breaker is switched back on, turn the breaker off and mark the other wire with white tape or paint to indicate the neutral. Your new switch will control input from the confirmed black (hot) wire back to the fixture. Follow direction for the new fixture from here out. And of course if you you feel uncomfortable doing this, call a journeyman for help. HYH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

You will be able to turn on the light OR the fan cause you need more wires to do more. I propose, buy one of the remote fan kits, hunter makes the ones I have. You mount the fan, put the remote module in the fan cover on the ceiling and leave the switch on all of the time. Use the remote for light, and speed control. Cost less than $39 at HD. You can even get one that you can preset to a temp that will come on by itself.

This beats the idea of trying to get another set of wires from the switch to the light location for control.

Reply to
SQLit

EXCELlent idea! I'm not the OP, but you gave me a solution I hadn't thought of!

Pop

need more wires

the ones I have. You

the ceiling and

light, and speed

that you can preset

from the switch to

Reply to
Pop Rivet

Glad I could move the memory cells for ya.

That is what is so great about the forum and the help you can get from others.

You ought to see the push button dead lock I have on my front door. Never need a key again. I have codes for the family and friends. Now they do not have to stand out in the sun if I am gone.

Reply to
SQLit

cant I just get a douple pole double throw switch and tie the fan/light wires together. and use the switch on the fan when I want the fan off

Reply to
George Macomber