light globes blowing too often

We have a light fitting with three lights that take a smaller type of globe than the more common ones. It seems they are blowing much more often than they should. Does anybody know why? Is the wattage too high or too low? Or is there a problem with the fitting itself? Do I need to call an electrician?

Thanks for any help.

Jen

Reply to
Jen

Aprox how often do they fail? How expensive are they? Please post a pic of the bulb or a more specific description.

Reply to
Lawrence

Seems to blow every couple of months. They're just the normal priced globes. Can't post a pic, no camera. I'm from Australia, I don't know where you are from, we may have different manufacturers so I don't know if a description would be useful. It is a Phillips brand 25 watt globe.

Jen

Reply to
Jen

Three lights or more are considered Chandiliers, and require special bulbs. The filaments of these bulbs are usually more delicate.

Usually, their spot on...120V.........but your house may be higer...... If your pushin' 125 or higer, they'll blow more. Less than Do I need to call an > electrician?

Wouldn't think so. If you or a friend can take a reading with a volt meter for AC Volts at your outlets, that'll tell ya' what ya' got.

120 to I've seen as high as 127V in some. A 122 average will keep ya' close to the box, with a 120 A 124 or higher average, you should go with 130V bulbs. but they'll be a little dimmer. The Blue or orange boxes may have higher voltage bulbs, but if you have a lighting and electical supply house nearby, you should have a better experience.

YW Sky

Reply to
sky

Are you in AUS now?

Reply to
sky

Yes

Reply to
Jen

Several factors can cause short life.

Heat, especially if the lamps are in an enclosed fixture Vibration, from machinery or sometimes someone walking on the floor above a ceiling fixture. Moisture. This is also a killer, it does not take much. Poor connections. If the contacts of the fixture are corroded or maybe lost their "springiness" the lamps may not be making good contact.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

One easy way to extend bulb life is to put the lamp on a dimmer circuit and avoid operating at the 100% level.

You didn't say, but this assumes...

  1. Incandescent lamps
  2. Shortness of life is not due to inferior quality of the bulbs

Also, you said you were from Australia so I presume we are talking about 240 volt circuits. One of the other posters mentioned 120 volts, which is merely the North American standard.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

We had a light bulb last over 10 years once. It was hanging in a barn with no globe and was a low wattage bulb.

Reply to
JimL

?? How would moisture get into the lightbulb, or make a difference from the outside?

Reply to
mm

The causes I can think of:

supply voltage too high, or voltage surges vibration bad contact

If it's a bad contact you would see the light flicker sometimes. You can measure if the supply voltage is too high or not.

Voltage surges are harder to catch. Other than having a monitoring device on it, I don't know what else could help.

Reply to
peter

Everyone's given all sorts of interesting theories. Thanks. But none of it really helps solve the problem.

Thanks for trying though.

Jen

Reply to
Jen

In my experience, it depends on manufacturer and batch. Had some miniature pot lights that took a 35 watt reflector. Bought a box of 12 bulbs, they only lasted a couple of months each. Bought a second batch of 12 bulbs, and they last a couple of years each. Finally used them up and bought some Philips at the local HD store, they are still going and are at least 3 years old. In the same vein, I have some 50 watt large reflectors where several of the 19 original bulbs are still in daily use after 20 years. I can't figure it out, I doubt anyone else can other than brand and batch. You get some good ones and some bad ones.

Reply to
EXT

Have you tried a different brand of bulb or a bulb from a different batch? I bought a pack once of a reputable brand of bulb/"globe" (only Aussies seem to call them that); most of them lasted only a few hours, and one or two blew as soon as the switch was turned on for the first time.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

It can come from leaks or condensation. It can cause corrosion and thermo shock.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I get it. Good to know.

Reply to
mm

Did you actually try any of the suggestions? Many are not 'theories', but proven techniques that address your stated problem. Using higher voltage globes or using a dimmer will most assuredly give you longer lifed globes.

lee h

Reply to
lee houston

I gave them all some thought. It's not moisture. I've never seen any globes of a different voltage, they all seem to be 240. A dimmer, none of us actually want at the moment, and can't afford - and why didn't it happen before, we didn't have a dimmer before. I've put it down to the batch, as someone suggested.

Jen

Reply to
Jen