Leveling/smoothing sub-floor seams

I am in the process of putting down laminate flooring in my home. After pulling up the carpet and padding, I noticed a few spots where the subfloor butts together that a few seams are just slightly uneven...no more than an eight of an inch. Once I put the vapor/padding barrier down, I'm sure it won't make a difference, but I didn't want the subfloor seams to dig into the barrier from traffic and compromise it.

What kind of compound should I use to even the seams? I remember helping my father-in-law lays vinyl floors years ago, and he would always "spackle" the underlayment seams with some sort of mortar which he would quick-dry with a heat gun.

Do you think I should do the same in my situation, or not even worry about it? If I should repair the seams, what is the type of compound I should use?

Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
jjbutera

the flooring installers i know use a product called "webcrete" which is a fiber reinforced portland cement based product that comes in about

20# bags. flooring stores should know about it, and home depot might even carry it as far as i know. if you have access to a belt sander you could put a very coarse belt on it and sand it down.
Reply to
marson

Can you screw the subfloor down at the uneven seams?

Reply to
Hogwild

If the joints 'high' use a belt sander to knock down the high spots.

Reply to
MikeP