lazboy won't accept sofa sectional return

I bought a 5 piece sofa sectional from lazboy for over $4K last Oct. After just a few months, the chaise and the seat next to it had compressed such that the cushions don't look square, but rather slumpy. And the edge lines are no longer straight and smooth, but crooked. (And yes, we rotate the cushions.)

The technician came out and said he would replace them, but I said that the other 3 pieces are made of the same cushioning material and should be replaced too. But he said they looked fine, and I countered by saying that that's because they don't get much use.

Moreover, the underside of the arm cap (cloth that covers the arm rest) was not stitched up properly and looks amateur. The ends are frazzled and not clean, with microfiber threads hanging out. This is a major indication that the whole sofa was not constructed with quality craftsmanship.

Basically, they have all of our money, but we don't have all of their product. Lazboy ships us a substandard product from the getgo, and says that their warranty policy will take care of whatever quality problems.

I do not want to have to file warranty claims every two months for the next

3 years, nor do I want to have to rotate and flip my cushions once a week, which is what I feel is required.

Even if I get the new cushions, the new car feeling is gone. I'm stuck with a poor quality sofa. I paid premium dollar from a premium brand, but I did not get premium product.

I mean I could understand their not accepting a return if I suddenly did not like the color or style, but this is a product defect, which they just want to patch up by having me go through warranty.

I weigh 180lbs, wife 105, baby 25 with 4 to 5 hours of use at most per day.

Do I have a legitimate grievance? What other options do I have to try and get them to return the sofa? Consumer advocacy groups? Local news?

Reply to
Snoop Drew

Try speaking with a manager if that doesn't resolve the issue ask that the factory rep stop by and take a look at your problem. I doubt that a cash refund will occur but you may get a replacement unit.

BTW almost all modern cushions will crush and loose some shape after moderate use. Not saying you don't have a problem. I just wanted you to know that.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

If you used your charge card to buy it, call the charge card company and see if you can put the purchase in dispute (some cards do have time limits to make claims). And, if you haven't already done so, see if the store you bought it from will help you (don't hold your breath though if you bought it at a La-Z-Boy store ... you'll get better help if you bought it through an independent store).

La-Z-Boy long ago forgot about the customer. They'd much rather give their own customer the run-around than address the problem of quality control. They present an image filled with the illusion of making a high quality product but when a customer has a problem, La-Z-Boy bolts and forgets about customer service.

Over ten years ago, it took 6 months and many service calls and several letters from the headquarters and still they would not admit the source of a problem we were having (an oil-like substance was rubbing off onto our carpet from the La-Z-Boy mechanism). They spent untold time insisting that La-Z-Boy didn't use oil in their products. It finally took a young technician who came to replace the mechanism who told us that La-Z-Boy does use "graphite" on their mechanisms. The replacement mechanism still rubs off graphite (feels and looks like oil) and we've just learned to live with that problem that exists to this day and the material that they put on our couch that had a distinct red line in the material which we were told indicates the end of a material bolt was used. La-Z-Boy acknowledged that the end of the material bolt was used but refused to give us another couch or repair/replace the material. They also refused to repair the hole in the material that the malfunctioning mechanism caused - they told us the material isn't covered after 90 days and it didn't matter to them that it was the La-Z-Boy mechanism that caused the tear.

Reply to
CJ

I have purchased a number of Lazyboy products and have come to realize that they have become a rather mediocre product living on thier good name from the past. They are not nearly as well built as they used to be but are priced as if they were the best..... My .02 ..........Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

I have 2 Lazy Boy recliners. Both full leather. They get a ton of use and are holding up well. They seem better engineered then the previous brand recliners we had that were about the same price. They cost about $1000 each. The cushion has kept its shape well over the 2 years we've owned them.... they look brand new. Only sign of use is a bit of frame creaking in one arm. I think one problem you have is the microfiber fabric. Sure feels good but I'm not surprised it doesn't hold up well. People underestimate how much the fabric affects the cushioning. Basically when you are getting a informal fabric like that you can expect a sloppy looking sofa. Now I haven't seen your furniture so I don't know whether you have a problem or not. I can't remember whether Lazy Boy had different cushion densities but you might just let them do their replacement and when and if that fails again ask them for a higher densitity foam and tell them in needs to match all the way around so they need to replace the other foam cushioning too with the higher density stuff. They might do it to satisfy you. As far a the fabric repair, that can probably be handled locally.

You could try sueing them in small claims court but I would try to work it out first. Keep a diary of phone calls and appointments as evidence.

Reply to
Art

My wife bought a sofa and loveseat a little over a year ago. After about 6 months, the material started to separate between the back and the end of the loveseat. Now we have 3 kids and a dog, but this was in a area where nobody sits, leans, plays, or whatever. It wasn't until the second rep came out and looked at it that they decided they were going to fix it. They came and picked it up to repair it. They kept it for over 2 months! 4 months later, it's starting to do it again in two places.

I guess I can't complain because they DID do something about it, but I guess I'm just unhappy with the quality. I always thought you got quality stuff through Lazy Boy. Now it seems like they are just scrimping on the quality and still charging premium prices.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I see nothing has changed with Lazyboy. Had same problems with their furniture back in 1982, started to self destruct after third week also structural proplems, Frame broke (I was 145 lbs then). Could not get resolution, tried just about everything. They wouldn't even come out to look at it. Never purchased their stuff again and never will. Of course, that doesn't matter to them, the population is always breeding new suckers.

Stone

Reply to
Gary Stone

I have several La-Z-Boy products in my house, and have used their products for a number of years, including wearing out a couple. During this time I have learned a number of points that apply to La-Z-Boy and other companies.

1- The company makes many different quality levels of product. These get different construction and mechanisms. 2- The company makes look-a-like products for the low end retailers, they look like the higher priced products but sell for less, and are built much cheaper. 3- I always try to get a high end product and wait for sales and beat down the sales staff to get a substantial discount (or walk until another day), don't buy the look-a-likes at the low end retailers, as they are different. 4- Insist on unpacking and inspecting the product on the loading dock if you are picking it up, or on the delivery truck, and refuse to accept it if you find anything defective or out of place. Once you take it, it is more difficult to resolve the problems. 5- Male buyers should seek out a female salesperson, and female buyers should seek out a male salesperson. You can always get better results and cooperation if you do that. A woman should always make complaints regarding colour, dye lots, fit and finish, as it is harder to argue against a woman's opinion regarding these items. A man should always make complaints regarding mechanism, construction and operation if he has the ability to analyse these things to find the fault, as it is harder to argue against hard facts.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

I agree with Ross all the way on this one!

When I was coming back from northern Michigan we passed the factory. Out on the side of the interstate someone left a recliner! It was all dirty from snow debris. Maybe right from the factory they decided it wasn't worth the gas required to take it home!

Norwalk Furniture seems to be a much better quality in my opinion. I will not by Lazy Boy again, and we have six of them now. Rich

Reply to
Geoman

Attractive, functional and affordable, vinyl slipcovers will add decades to the life of your furniture.

Reply to
Matt

I found through the years that if you want to know how good furniture is built, other than what you can tell by flipping it over, is to go and talk to the used furniture folks or the consignment shops. Most of them told me that Lazyboy was "no big thing anymore" and they were built "cheaply" in comparison to what they built many years ago.....once again....my .02 ...Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

: I guess I can't complain because they DID do something about it, but I guess : I'm just unhappy with the quality. I always thought you got quality stuff : through Lazy Boy. Now it seems like they are just scrimping on the quality : and still charging premium prices. : :

in my experience, the QUALITY of lazy boy has been declining for the past couple of years!

Reply to
rosie readandpost

Greetings,

Guess you should have had a slip-cover. Next time you will know better.

Deans

Reply to
William Deans

They are just too lazy to help you.