Lawnmower - should I buy self-propelled?

I know what you mean, but the reel mowers are quite a bit lighter than a power mower. However, I think they're best for long, straight mowing where you can maintain a constant speed. For weird corners, they can be less than spectacular.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Wouldn't push one of those either:

;)

Reply to
Mark

OK, so a 6000 sq ft lot, so maybe 3000 sq ft of lawn...probably less. I have a hard time believing a gas mower will save any time over an electric on something that small -- you're going to be spending most of your time turning, futzing around obstructions, etc. Not a lot of straight line stuff like on a bigger lawn. IMHO, the increased eminence required of a gas mower would more than offset any time savings. Hey, but the proof's in the pudding -- borrow a neighbor's gas mower for an hour, and see what you think.

Reply to
Andy Hill

So, in other words, we should drop this idea? :-) OK. How about this?

Quiet, don't have to push it, and you can go into the cheese business if you choose to.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

50 X 120 lot? No way! I mow a 50 X 150 lot with a push. I had a self propelled a few years back and the drive was hardly used. Greg
Reply to
Greg O

The should be "the increased MAINTENANCE required of a gas mower would more than offset any time savings". %$#*ing spell checker...

Reply to
Andy Hill

Eminence is correct if you can get the pope to mow your lawn.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Self propelled will be heavier to bring home from the store, and also loading on and off a truck.

I like front wheel drive. Because when you're turning a corner, you push down on the handle and the front wheels come up. And you can leave the drive running, and then you can stand still.

Trying to lift the handle to lift the rear drive wheels is a pain.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

June 2005 Consumer Reports has an article and tests of mowers. Its on newstands. Worth a read.

LB

Reply to
LB

Self propelled. Lots easier to use. And in situations where you just want to push it, pull in on the bar.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB