Lawn trouble

We haven't been in our house long and the lawn is a bit patchy, some bits are basically bare earth and the rest is really pale. I've though about re-seeding but don't want to spend the time and money if there's something wrong, like a disease or something.

Any suggestions? A friend suggested getting someone in to have a look, this kind of thing 'TruGreen Poughkeepsie, NY Lawn Care |

1-855-545-4240'
so that it can get properly assessed.

Never had much of a garden before, there are quite a few shrubs etc that seem ok so it would be a shame to let the lawn go.

Thanks.

Reply to
ChloeP

Chances are when someone posts a link to a lawncare business and also their phone number, it's spam. And you just reposted the whole thing for them......

Reply to
trader4

My experience with TruGreen is that they sell only monthly treatments of whatever chemical they want you to have....I've always gone for least possible chem. to keep the lawn looking decent, and am presently planning on landscaping our newly acquired yard to cut way back on lawn area....riding mower or walk-behind and lots of shrubs and perennials :o)

Seed largest bare area. If you have healthy shrubs, chances are the soil is adequate. I'd put attention to proper watering, mowing and feeding and not overdoing any of those. Don't mow to short, as it allows soil to dry faster and promotes weed growth. If the grass is pale, it might need fert. or iron. Don't fertilize during hot, dry weather. Water sufficiently once a week, not a squirt every day. Early am is best to conserve water and keep grass from getting diseases from being wet too much of the time.

Local/county/state extension services have lots of resources on caring for landscaping, rec. plants, id pests, and often have soil testing services available. My ext. serv. in Florida even had an entomologist on staff to id bugs and rec. treatment.

Reply to
Norminn

Norminn

Many problems with lawns revolve around inadequate drainage and soil nutrient depletion.

Reply to
harry