Lawn sprinkler question

I have a line of about 5 heads. The ones farthest away from the valve are working perfectly. The 3 closest to valve only go part way up and if I manually pull them up, they often stay up even after the water is turned off. The farther ones working would tend to argue against pressure issues. Does it seem the best idea to just replace those three or is there some other diagnostic trick I should try first?

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

Try spraying them with some silicone lube, while they are full up.

Reply to
trader_4

Swap them. See if the problem moves with the heads or follows the location.

Reply to
Don Y

Replace one and if that fixes it, replace the other two.

Reply to
Micky

Save the old ones in case I'm wrong. Maybe they can be cleaned, although I guess if so, you should do that before buying new ones. Not that I've ever cleaned one, but dirt is the biggest problem for almost anything mechanical.

Reply to
Micky

Take them apart and clean them out. Buy new if they still don't pop up.

Reply to
dadiOH

For $5-6 bucks each it seems just as easy to and probably quicker to just get new. Wouldn't I have to dig them out and take them off the line to take them apart and clean them? (Serious question, BTW)

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

On mine, the head unscrews...pull it up, unscrew head.

Reply to
dadiOH

When mine start sticking, I pull out the grass blocking their movement. Then turn on the water, and repeatedly push the head down and let it pop back up. Water squirts out along the sides in the process, and tends to wash out grit that is making them stick.

Reply to
bobf1