Lawm mower stalls

I have an MTD, self propelled lawm mower with a 5.5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. Over the last several weeks, it has developed a problem where it starts right up, runs for about 20 minutes and stops. Sometimes it coughs and sputters for awhile before stalling, other times it's as if it was turned off. There have been times it's done that and would restart, other times, I have to wait until the next day. I have checked the air filter, checked the gas line, and checked the spark plug cable. What I haven't done is replaced the spark plug. If this helps, I thought it started moving alot faster about the time it happened but for the life of me, I can't see how that would be connected to the problem.

Reply to
rile42

jacko

rile,

As gas is drawn from the gas tank air must come in through a valve, typically a cheap reed valve. These valves can fail. So you run the mower until a vacuum builds up in the gas tank and stops the flow of gas. Next time it stops take the gas cap off, put it back on, and try to start it. If it starts up then suspect the reed valve.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

the only thing using a reed valve is a two stroke, and that would have nothing to do with building a vacuum in the tank.

Steve Barker

Reply to
jacko

Rile,

You've already done the test by taking the cap off. You have a bad valve or vent. Look at the cap, is it vented? Drain the tank, get a flashlight, and look for a valve. This is a really cheap fix, you owe me a cup of coffee.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel
5/5 HB Briggs don't have reed valves. Only found on two strokes.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Run with the gas cap loosened about 1/4 turn, see if that helps.

My couple thoughts were

  • Bad motor oil, as strange as that sounds.
  • Valve clearance problem, if it's an older motor
  • Ignition coil going bad
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If the engine is more than a few years old, it may have valve clearance problems. To check this isn't all that hard, with a socket set and a couple of feeler gages.

To fix it requires dissembling the engine, and not many people have the tools. I tried to make a living of small engine repairs, and I do have the tools.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon