Large Outdoor Trash Cans

On those large trash cans (e.g., 96 gallons) with wheels, there's a horizontal aluminum bar. What is its purpose? TIA

Reply to
Way Back Jack

news.motzarella.org...

It gives the racoon something to hold on to while he opens the lid, its also what the auto lifter on a garbage truck grabs onto to lift and empty it.

Reply to
ransley

"Way Back Jack" horizontal aluminum bar. What is its purpose? TIA

We use ours so when we load them on a pickup to take them to the pickup site, a person on the ground can assist a person in the bed of the truck to get them up and down. I have also heard it is a high speed wobble supressor.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

Every since we switched to the hauler-provided garbage cans, the "racoon dumping the trash problem" has been completey eliminated.

There are (at least) 4 additional advantages:

1 - I only have one can to roll to the street, instead of 2 plus sometimes a bag. 2 - I don't have to worry about how much weight I put in it - (there's some kind of weight limit for any other type of container) 3 - My smaller wheeled containers are always available for leaves and other yard debris that I can "recycle" in the woods across the street from my house. 4 - If it breaks, they'll give me a new one for free.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

on 1/5/2008 10:09 AM Way Back Jack said the following:

Don't know where that aluminum bar is on your can, but on my large wheeled trash can, there is a plastic bar across the top front that is the pull handle. My trash can is supplied by the trash company, and it is picked up with those new 1 man automated trucks with the arm that comes out and picks up the can and dumps it into the truck.

Reply to
willshak

In some areas like mine the trucks and auto empty the cans and the truck uses it to pick it up and dump it. I notice that they usually dump mine manually, but when it is extra heavy they use the truck automated dumper. It should save a few back injuries.

BTW I find that the raccoons and skunks don't seem to be able to get into the can I have now.

"Way Back Jack" horizontal aluminum bar. What is its purpose? TIA

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

sh cans (e.g., 96 gallons) with wheels, there's a

Bill,

Some cans with the bar are shown at this site. The truck hooks the bar and tilts/dumps the contents into the truck.

I'm guessing that your can is like the one the truck is lifting at this site, which wouldn't require a bar.

DerbyDad03

That bar is for you to use to whip homeless people away from your trash can.

Reply to
Me

It is part of the cart components that "mate" with the hydraulic "shoe" found centered and just below the bottom edge of rear-loading compactor trucks.

Following is a photo of a truck with TWO "shoes".

The employee maneuvers the cart from the curb and aligns it with the "shoe" whereupon he activates a lever. The shoe attaches to the cart (using the metallic bar about which you inquired), raises the cart and partially inverts it, dumping its contents into the compactor bay, then returns the cart to the ground, releasing the cart from the "shoe". I was unable to find any images on Google showing this process but it is widespread and very common where carts are used.

The one-man, fully-automated trucks are encroaching on this process. That does NOT involve the metal bar. In fact, the main body of carts designed specifically for such automation are perfectly cylindrical - without the metal bar.

In the more automated, one-man system, an articulated arm extends from the truck, encircles the cart with a strap or two, the cart is lifted entirely from the ground, dumped into a SIDE-loading bay of the compactor truck, then returned to its "original" place on the ground. This is ostensibly done without the operator/driver leaving the cab of the vehicle.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

cans (e.g., 96 gallons) with wheels, there's a

Yes. My cans are picked up by the sides.

Reply to
willshak