Kitchen sink garbage disposal dry

Aw geez , I forget not everyone is blessed enough to live in a clearing out in the woods . We're not goingto use a disposer , that stuff all goes to the chickens or the compost heap . Looks like the bees are going to give us around 10-12 gallons of honey this year ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Damn! Fergot all about them "transgender trolls". ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Damn, how many bees do you have? Mead sounds good though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This is a good newsgroup, but you'll have to drop a dozen or so goofball posters in the disposal.

You might call the maker of the disposal and ask the person who does maintenance at the apartment. They will probably also have other tips also.

Myself, I generally wipe all dishes with a paper towel and put it in the trash can before anything goes in the sink or dishwasher, especially meat, oil and grease. The more I can keep out of the drain pipes the longer before they need rooted out. Hardly ever need the disposal any more, but I still run it at least once a week for about 30 seconds, alternating hot & cold water with dish detergent.

I have heard all kinds of stories about running it with ice, orange peels, etc., but my own personal opinion is just use water and detergent unless the maker has other recommendations.

About use life -- I installed our about 20 years ago and it never had a problem until about a month ago, when it had not be turned on for a long time, and wouldn't start turning. I felt around inside and couldn't find any thing jamming it. The allen wrench at the bottom was not strong enough to turn it. , so I used a 1/2-inch wooden dowel to turn lever it loose (with power off). Then turned it on and flush with water & detergent. This happened again about a week or so later. Probably means it needs to be taken apart or replaced.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

My first one was an Insinkerator installed by a contractor. It rusted out in a year or two.

When I bought the replacement I found that the lowest priced models are not really built to last. I bought a higher end Insinkerator and I found it comes with a lifetime guarantee, to installed by the company at their expense. Needless to say, it's still running, and I expect it to never quit.

Reply to
Dan Espen

My old landlord owned/maintained several rental properties. He claimed it was cheaper to install the cheapest hardware (disposal, wall htr, window AC, etc) and replace 'em as needed, rahter than to buy quality. I didn't necessarily agree with him, but he always was Johnny-on-the-spot with those cheapo replacements.

Excellent tip.

I know it's a good tip, cuz I don't even have a sink disposal, anymore. Plus, paper towels are a replentishable. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

yeah,

i don't like to put much of anything down the drain

coffee grounds go in the garden, and most other food waste goes in the trash can

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

And you want to run it a while after the disposal finishes - that food needs to get much further down the pipe.

Reply to
TimR

Several web sites do mention cooling as a reason to run cold water. Others disagree. I'd always been told cooling was part of the reason, so I dunno .

It does seem likely to me that a disposal has a light duty motor. If somet hing is typically run for 15 - 30 seconds at a time, would you engineer it so that it can run continuously? I'm sure it can take 3 minutes or so but I'd be reluctant to let it run much longer without cooling off.

Reply to
TimR