Kind of Off the Subject Repairing Broken Glasses

But my wife broke her sunglasses. They are prescription. She had the lenses tinted. The frames are plastic. Would your run of the mill superglue fix these? Or is there something stronger?

Thanks

Reply to
Greg

As long as the glue says" For Plastic" , Superglue has I believe 2 glues one for plastic.

Reply to
m Ransley

one down.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca

had the lenses

superglue fix

There is a special glue for glass that might work better. It is cured by UV light. (the sun works fine)

Bob

Reply to
Bob

This is Turtle.

Super glue should be good but if you wanted to get some glue that would hold like hell to use on it. Go by a place where the put windshields in at and get a drop of the glue they used to put the rear view mirrors on with. It drys very clear and the extra that squirts out. It can be wipped off before it drys . I seen a fellow use it to put a side mirror back together and you could bearly see the crack line at all. You have 30 seconds to get it cleaned off and set before it grabs the surfaces. Also they do have some stuff to clean the over part to clean it off to not see the extra left on the sides.

Now you could get the eye place to put another glass in there or plastic .

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Guess what -- that glue is cyanoacrylate adhesive. So is SuperGlue. It's basically the same stuff.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thanks. I'll head to Mecca (Lowe's) this evening and look for that brand of superglue.

Reply to
Greg

:) But my wife broke her sunglasses. They are prescription. She had the lenses :) tinted. The frames are plastic. Would your run of the mill superglue fix :) these? Or is there something stronger?

What ever is used don't fix the glasses right before usage. The adhesives may give off irritating fumes for a while.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!

Lar

The trick with any super glue is that once opened, a tube loses it's "super" pretty quickly. Opened super glue simply doesn't keep very long. Open a fresh tube and it will hold your glasses together.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

i think super glue sort of cures by taking water out of the air. if you can vacuum seal it or put it into a bag with desiccant, it will last a lot longer.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Don't be surprised if superglue doesn't hold. Some plastic eyeglass frames are made from plastic other than acetate material which the glue would hold together well. The other problem you face is getting the broken edges to hold; the lenses are usually edged a little bigger than the opening so that when the frame is heated up and stretches to insert the lens, then the frame cools and contracts around the lens. Take it to a reputable eyeglass person and let them give you your options.The part that's broken may be able to be replaced if the frame is still in production. If you think this is a DIY then I'd get ahold of a dremel drill with a small bit and drill small holes through the good parts of the frame near the edges of the break. Then sew it together with some clear fishing line or thread that matches the color of the frame. Almost invisible repair.

Reply to
the staring frogs of Iberia

This is Turtle.

It maybe super glue but I have a friend that rebuilds cars and uses the the stuff to put mirrors back on with and has used just plain super glue to put the mirrors on with and in about 6 to 12 months the mirror comes loose. If he uses the bottle stuff from the Glass companys they never come loose. I really don't know what is the difference but there is a difference of some kind that will hold the mirrors so well. Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i can't stand it. I just called my buddy up and got him to give me the scoop on the glue stuff. Here is what he said.

He said the glue diffently is different from plain super glue for it has a urothain sun blocker in it and has epoxie base stuff in it. The sun light will break down plain super glue and not effect the Mirror glue called Lock Tight Weather bright which is made by Somoca company. Their website is

or the glue explained on page here and you can look it up on the site. Now if you need it to be explain better than I can you can call

1-800-527-5170 and they can explain it better to you or use the number from the website. It cost about $20.00 or $30.00 for a small 2 oz. bottle and has a life spand of about a year.

It may look like a duck and walks like a duck but it's not a duck because it is two different type of glue.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Take them back where you bought them. I've never paid to fix a pair of glasses.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski