JLC vs Fine Homebuilding

For a homeowner who has the potential to develop some decent skills, what online subscription would you recommend: JLC or Fine Homebuilding? (TOH mag is a waste of money, and Family Handyman is too lightweight.) Thanks.

Reply to
JohnnyC

I subscribe to both mags. Not sure if an online subscription would be comparable, but here's my experience with the mags.

I would say JLC is targeted toward practicing contractors doing the stuff they do all day every day.

FH tends to feature higher end work and projects.

I would say I've learned more things that are helpful in day to day maintenance and small remodeling jobs from JLC. OTOH, there is a lot of material in there that's not useful unless you are a contractor. The business and legal columns, for example.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Having read both for some time my assessment is as follows: Fine Home building will give you design ideas and finishing tips for the most part, while JLC will give you more major construction ideas and information on the equipment you'll want to rent. Both will get repetitive after a while, so if you have a library that has them, just grab a year or two of each to read over a weekend and you will have absorbed most of their content at no cost.

Reply to
Pete C.