Is this wire worth anything? 8-3 Aluminum 70 feet

I have about 70 feet of 8 AWG Aluminum wire. I believe it's 8-3, there are two sheathed conductors and then one bare one. It was being used for an electric stove that was on a double pole 40A breaker.

I'm thinking this wire is worth something. Anyone have a guess as to how much?

Kevin

Reply to
kevharper

~30 to 90 cents per pound, stripped, depending where you are and how much of a crook you're dealing with... You might get more $ for it intact from someone needing it but the trick is finding them :) Everyone is paranoid about aluminum wiring even though it's a better conductor than copper. Phone a local scrap yard for a price (before you strip it) as some prefer to strip their own.

Gary

Reply to
gerdman

Perhaps it is a better conductor, but its heat properties are no where near as good as copper. It also gets very brittle and cracks. Trying to make connections after a couple years gets very difficult.

Reply to
komobu

Copper is a much better conducter than aluminum. Al has about 64% the conductivity of copper.

Silver 63.01 =D7 10^6 Copper 59.6 =D7 10^6 Annealed Copper 58.0 =D7 10^6 Aluminum 37.8 =D7 10^6

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Not so! That's why for the same ampacity, aluminum is called out at larger sizes than copper.

Reply to
bill allemann

Oops, my bad lol. Aluminum is roughly double the conductivity by WEIGHT. Hence why it is used for overhead transmission lines.

Thanks for the correction Bill :)

Gary

Reply to
gerdman

Guess I'll put it up on Craig's List for $70 ($1 per foot) and see if anybody wants it.

Reply to
kevharper