Is this mold?

Tenant complain about mold in the house in an area under the window where some faint black spots about the area of one square foot each were on the surface on the sheetrock. Washed with bleach but the spots reappeared. I'm pretty sure this is mold.

I then remove the sheetrock to inspect the inside wall area. This wall cavity looks dry but I'm sure there was some water intrusion from the old aluminum window above. There are some faint pinkish or reddish blotches on the other side of the sheetrock. I peel the sheetrock paper off on the back side and the pinkish/reddish color did not penetrate through. Is this pinkish/reddish stain mold or some funky sheetrock used in the old days? There are no water spots. I don't want to rip out the whole wall if its not mold. Sheetrock at lease 35 years old. Any ideas?

Reply to
** Frank **

Information about location in the house (bath, kitchen, etc) & location of the house would be helpful as well as some photos.

How big were the spots? How quickly did they return?

Mold needs moisture & food (not much) ....eliminate the moisture & the mold will not come back.

A paint additive for mold will help but the real problem is moisture.

I think people are over reacting these days when they see mold...a few small spots should be handled with beach, let dry, repaint....gone unless there is a continuing moisture source.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Replace the sheetrock you took out with the new mold resistant type. The cost difeerential is nominal, and the mold (if real) will never return. It's a win-win solution for you and your tenant. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

IMHO: I suggest you hire a certified mold inspector. They will have area inspected, and take samples for testing.

tom @

Just Joshin

paint over it will kilz & move on with your life. there's mold everywhere.

Reply to
longshot