Is this a water tap, and how old?

Found in the corner of a pre-war kitchen, which has a separate and much more recent water connection, and an exterior gas connection.

What might happen if tuned on (a spectrum between "nothing" and "free water" perhaps)?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Originally gas, most likely. Odd decision to cap it off after a potentially leaky tap. But fairly unlikely to be still connected. It would be a mistake to turn the tap as, if there is still a mains gas connection, it will probably not seal properly once moved.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Well given the alternatives, not hard to see how it ended up that way.

If needs be, turn off at the main tap, and then replace the whole fitting with a cap (compression or solder).

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , at

14:41:24 on Sat, 14 Mar 2020, John Rumm remarked:

There is no "main tap", in the sense that the only place the gas comes into the premises today is via a white box on the exact opposite corner of the house, whose only exit pipe goes along the side of the house to completely different destination.

The pictured pipe/tap has only come to light underneath some kitchen storage units removed this week, having been there since 2008 (if the supplier labels on the underside of the work surfaces are to be believed).

Reply to
Roland Perry

That's weird, I thought all gas mains were a tap, then a meter, then your internal pipework.

Just switch it on and see what happens. It's not like a water pipe, the pressure of gas is bugger all, you can plug it easily if the tap won't turn back off. If you do get gas, cut it under the floor (yourself or get a plumber) and put a new end cap on it.

If you get gas and your meter doesn't turn, free gas! Connect everything to it instead of the meter.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In message , at 18:50:18 on Fri, 29 May 2020, Commander Kinsey remarked:

The plumber was here today doing some work on the modern gas connection. He's agreed to cap that old one off next week as a gesture of good will, as long as I chip out enough of the floor around the pipe over the weekend for him to be able to fit it.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Still be interesting to connect a meter to the pipe and find other pipes of metal and look for continuity. Hopefully there will be none. Also in this house the gas was never reconnected when they passed by with the new main, but even so some years later when I needed to remove a tap and pipe poking up in the sitting room one got a strong gas smell that lasted several days, but that was all it was, no sign of anything combustible. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Strange, I find gas smell dissipates very quickly. E.g. oops I forgot to light the stove. Open a window. Gone.

I'm getting my gas disconnected to save paying the standing charge. I've installed a heat pump instead of bothering to do up the antiquated gas heating system.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey