Is my deck made out of cedar or redwood?

How can I tell? The wood is grey (about 5 years old).

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Can you cut a piece someplace? That would reveal a fresh surface that would help.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

use a sanding tool or the like and smell the area sanded. If it smells like cedar,.............well, It's cedar. If it smells like pine, then it's pine...............etc...This will work well with the cedar, but the rest of the woods I am unfamiliar with the scent , so i'd probably be just a fool for stating the above. But cut the cedar and it'll give off a very distinct cedar smell, unless it's just rotten to death.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

If it looks good, it's redwood. Otherwise it is cedar or, worse yet, pressure treated lumber.

I'm assuming the wood has a clear protective coating. If someone put a colored preservative over the wood, all bets are off.

Reply to
ollie_w_holmes

Where do you live? Redwood decks are pretty much a West Coast affair. You don't see much cedar in the East either, because of the expense. The most common to everywhere is plain old pressure treated pine. Unless you live in a bucks up community, I'd bet on the pine.

Reply to
Sunflower

If you can access the underside at all try sanding a small portion of it. The upper surface will remain unmarked, and you should be able to figure out what you have.

Reply to
Gort

From your discription, the deck is concrete.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Not generically true...many decks in TN were redwood (I'd say the majority until about 10 years ago) for almost all new construction. Granted it's now gotten expensive enough to be a custom material, granted.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

If those are the only 2 choices than Cedar ages light gray, redwood ages darker.

Reply to
calhoun

If you don't have anything to compare it to, though, it's kinda tough to tell that way.

If you can drill a hole, or cut a bit off, in an inconspicuous place, that should be enough to identify the difference. Even old cedar will have a faint, but still noticeable, cedar smell to it when cut; likewise, pine smells like pine; but redwood doesn't smell like either one.

Doug Miller

There might also be some stampings on the bottom to identify it.

Reply to
-