Is it true that Fathers Day is not really celebrated by African Americans?

I was reading something the other day that seemed to indicate that Fathers Day is not really celebrated in the African American community.

Any thoughts or comments on that?

Reply to
Bill Cosby

Yes. FOAD.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Father's Day is just another commercial holiday invented by retailers to sell more merchandise.

Did you get that new Binford 6100 gizmo you always wanted?

Reply to
Homer

Fathers Day is an unofficial holiday in Kenya.

And here in America, there are plenty of websites and stores selling African-American Fathers Day cards. So some blacks are celebrating it.

Reply to
Steven L.

This is not about greeting cards and merchandise, though it is true that Mo thers, Fathers, Grandparents, dogs, cats, etc. Days are "invented by stores to sell merchandise" ...and restaurants to beef up customers.

This came across to me as a sly slap at Black families. Didn't ANYBODY pic k up on the vile aspersions cast on Black families? They are more likely t o be poor; more likely to have male members arrested and imprisoned far mor e than whites for the same offense; more often headed by a female; more oft en have children attending underserved schools w/o the best teachers, and o n & on.

Maybe they have bigger worries than buying greeting cards for a commercial "Day"

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I guess track school is on break where Bill lives...................

Reply to
SteveB

You seem surprised that those that responded are as dumb as a sack of hammers.

But even you missed the point.

Black families?

That's hillarious.

To have a family, a real family - you need a father. And in any given black household, what you will usually not find is - a father (or - "the" father).

Hence the idea that "Father's Day" in the African American community is a strange concept.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Go look up the numbers for yourself.

Reply to
Bill Cosby

Bill Cosby wrote in news:lnmnlk$gad$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

+1 on that. It's my understanding that black "families" do make a big deal of mother's day and also have a "WhoDat" day instead of Father's Day. You know: Moma, who dat man in yo bed?
Reply to
BillyBobT

Isn't that practiced every day of the year in some cultures?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There is a sizeable portion of the black american community where the father is not in evidence, and a growing portion of the American white community where the same is true. There is also a very sizeable American Black community where the fother is VERY present, and contributes significantly to the family dynamic, and the welfare and education of his children. Sadly there is a smaller and smaller part of the white community where this is true.

Reply to
clare

It's a cultural thing. Same reason they can't speak English properly.

Reply to
Lance Echolot

I have yet to meet an American of whatever colour -- black, white, brown, or brindle -- who can speak (or write) English properly.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Smashing good, what? Whilst I don't wish to think ye barmy, I dinah ken tell ye blokes nattering, bloody rubbish.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon