Is it *really* that rewarding to be stealing residential air conditioners?

They don't do just one and clean Cu tubing is over $2.50/lb even in under 50 lb walkin and it's been much higher than that.

The "pros" take the units somewhere and strip them then sell; sophisticated bunches they've busted around here have crushers/sorters, the whole shootin' match just like the big chop shops have everything they need for dismantling cars/trucks for the black market parts market or to disguise/retitle/etc. the vehicle on the "steal on commission" basis.

It's a major problem; having rural electric co-op that traverses much open country that is very sparsely populated, we've lost miles of the ground wires from poles and as others have noted even some places they have actually tied on and pulled the lines themselves.

There's been a bunch in Wichita that have targetted a couple of the park ballfields during offseason--they've done 10X the damage to light standards, switching gear, etc., that the cost of the materials has been. The real pisser is a couple of them were all-volunteer contributed neighborhood fields.

New more restrictive laws on the recyclers on what they have to have for ID and materials they can take have helped a little; enforcement on the crooked ones of them is a problem in lack of resources altho it's fairly easy to tell which are the most problematical there's still the effort to actually make sufficient of a case to prosecute at a serious enough level to do real damage instead of just nuisance level...

Reply to
dpb

The can comes off with about 10 screws and they start ripping and cutting from there. It is happening all over SW Florida so I know it is possible.

Reply to
GFretwell

re: "one heck of a class action suit for damages."

How would that happen?

To have a class action suit, you need a class.

From lawyers.com:

=95Numbers. There have to be so many possible plaintiffs and lawsuits against a defendant that it's not practical for them to file their own suits. Often, possible plaintiffs number in the hundreds or thousands.

In order for a Class Action suit to be filed against the scrap yard, there would have to be at least hundreds of rightful owners of the cars that knew that their cars had been taken to this scrap yard after being stolen.

If the cars were being crushed soon after receipt, then will have essentially "disappeared", never to be found and the owner would never know who to sue.

Then there is the question of who is the rightful owner. If there was a lien against the car (a car loan) who would be the plaintiff?

If the insurance company paid the individual owner after the car was stolen, then the insurance company would own the car should it ever be found. Assuming many of the stolen cars were insured (and now owned) by the limited number of insurance companies in the market, the pool of plantiffs just got much smaller.

Any of the above factors makes the possibility of a class action suit pretty small.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Any Canucks know if stealing AC units is happening on any sort of scale in Canada? (specifically, Ontario, SW-Ontario)?

I'm wondering if it's time to put a cage around the AC unit at my office, and maybe home as well.

Reply to
Home Guy

Specifically, no but I can't imagine it isn't--commodity prices aren't any different. Only way can see it wouldn't be is if there's something that effectively bans the recycling as the outlet for the material.

Reply to
dpb

Any Canucks know if stealing AC units is happening on any sort of scale in Canada? (specifically, Ontario, SW-Ontario)?

I'm wondering if it's time to put a cage around the AC unit at my office, and maybe home as well.

I live in Halton and never heard of it because it's just easier to break into unlocked cars or garages.

Instead of wasting money on a cage I'd just make a fake alarm sensor from a plastic bottle cap with wires running out of it into the home to somewhere on the unit. For double assurance I'd post a beware of dog sign on my gate. Thieves look for easy mark so why go overboard with the security. Just put up enuf stuff to make them think twice and look elsewhere.

Reply to
The Henchman

If it is, then for some reason it's not being reported in the media the way it is in the US. That's why I'm asking.

Reply to
Home Guy